Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old May 26, 2011   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

A tenderloin to 160F? Ouch.

I salt and pepper a tenderloin, brown it in a little oil on all sides for a few minutes, and then place it in a baking dish in the oven for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, I remove the oil from the skillet and simmer some maple syrup and cinnamon to make a glaze. I like keeping pork tenderloin simple.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011   #17
linuxman51
Tomatovillian™

it was more spur-of-the-moment than a planned thing, so I didn't get to do my usual consult the book of armaments approach.
2003 Evo VIII, ams 35r, cams, etc. 440awhp, fun DD 11.6@123mph
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011   #18
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
it was more spur-of-the-moment than a planned thing, so I didn't get to do my usual consult the book of armaments approach.
Oh I've done the same thing, but my accident. Get distracted and next thing you know it's leather. And it depends which book you consult. I bought a thermometer just last year that declares Pork cooked only when it reaches 160F.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011   #19
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

In my area we use 55 gallon steel drums (barrel cookers) and cook low and slow (minimum three hours) over a mesquite or oak charcoal fire. The 'thermometer' of choice is the palm of the hand on the lid- if you can't keep your hand on the lid for at least 3 seconds it's too hot. Final temp usually around 145°F, more or less. Turkey, chicken, beef, pork, it all goes in the barrel.
davespitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2012   #20
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I'm OK w/hog house pork being cooked to the lower temp, though I am not a fan of pork tenderloins - they require marinating for flavor - just isn't there in the meat for me.

When we get feral hogs - that that isn't ground for sausage is cooked until falling apart - not worth the risk of trichinosis or Taenia solium infections. Tastes better to me but it is all what one's palate is accustomed to, I suppose.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote