Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2018   #2101
oakley
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;697510]29th of April and our low is 35 tonight...
My countertops are full... Mary is going to kill me...

That looks familiar,
I do all the planning and sowing. Every year it is the same thing...early April seed starting,
4 1010 36 cells trays, 5 seeds per cell. Tiny things for a few five weeks...four little trays...
"are you sure we have enough tomato plants?"...ummm, well, now potting up, we have 8
1020 trays and running out of real estate and more back-ups that need potting up

A few cold nights they were all over every available surface...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #2102
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Beautiful! And such a closeup! How close did it let you get?

Nan
Haha! Taken from my window with a zoom lens. These grouse are always here in spring, nipping at a bit of evening primrose etc. Whatever hardy perennials are through the ground. I'm always trying to get pics of them but for sure, this is the best I ever managed.
One year a grouse nested right in my yard. there were some boughs I had cut and small firs I pulled out of the garden and had piled them up in a corner. I went later to clear them out and lo behold the missus was nested underneath! I kept lurking around for several weeks, watching for chicks and when I saw them of course I had to get the camera out... No she wasn't having it. The chicks ran off into the bushes and she flew up in my face. And they didn't return to the nest. So to answer your question, they're not a bit tame.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #2103
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
well, it is almost May.... it sure doesn't look like it.

Attachment 80795

What is that green stuff?
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #2104
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Nice picture, bower! We have been hearing the males drumming this spring, but no sightings yet. Last year one flew under our deck and crashed into the window beside our main entrance door. When I went out to see what made the noise, there he was with his neck broken. Well, we ate him.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #2105
bower
Tomatovillian™

Lucky you Dee!! Those birds are good eatin.
Old May 2, 2018   #2106
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

They are calling for us to have a good chance of severe weather tonight and tomorrow. High winds, large hail, heavy rain and some storms may produce tornadoes. It's funny the first thing I thought about after watching the talking weather heads on TV, was my garden. It's only been planted 10 days and I'm concerned for my babies.

Hopefully my wife and I won't be diving into our interior closet in the middle of the night.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #2107
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

Deluge in the hill country today, with all the accompaniments you can think of, wind, hail, power outages, flooding, etc. Stay safe.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #2108
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hope you are all safe from the severe weather!
I can hardly complain about the frosty night we had. Greenhouse went down to 43 F but there was enough sunshine today to get back into the 80's. The tomato plants look fine but maybe a little yellowing close to the veins. I think I'll give em some fish fert next time it seems safe to water.
Old May 5, 2018   #2109
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It rained over 5 inches here yesterday and the day before. Lightning struck two different transformers causing the power to go out at Walmart Thursday and again on Friday. It was just a lot of rain at our house. It washed out an area that I knew would wash out whenever we got a heavy storm. Now, I can see where I need to put clay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01282.JPG (211.7 KB, 74 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2018   #2110
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wow Salt... that rain made some gullies!!! You could almost make a "Grand Canyon" for those two little trucks to drive around in.
Old May 5, 2018   #2111
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

lol Bower.

That's the sandy loam that came from the raised beds - which blocked off the water there. I had to remove the raised beds. Now, there's nothing in the way, and the water washed down to the clay that's underneath.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2018   #2112
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Approaching 90F here and some tomato leaves showing slight signs of yellowing. Not sure what it is, but all has been great so far. Should be eating ripe tomatoes in the next day or so. At least the humidity has been in check.
Old May 6, 2018   #2113
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default weather

15 day forecast has zero pics of a full sun with rain, rain and rain. Added to the blight and weeds it is becoming very discouraging.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #2114
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Classic NC weather. Rains for exactly 5 minutes. Sun comes out, gets hot as Hell.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #2115
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Looks like it should be a beautiful week here. 70s 50s. I could take 6 months of that, personally. We finally got a decent few hours of steady-ish rain today. It has been probably 2 weeks. The rain was missing 5 miles north, 3 miles south, or fading out 15 miles west. Microclimates can be funny.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote