Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 17, 2016   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default white fly soap damage

could this be from the soap solution i used for whitefiies or something else? it's on all the plants but peppere plants. ---thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (87.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (77.8 KB, 124 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

It could. Was the sun out when you sprayed?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2016   #3
encore
Tomatovillian™

sprayed when sun went down, 2 nights in a row, was sunny both days after i sprayed. 2 1/2 tbsp. dawn---2 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil to a gallon of water.
Old August 17, 2016   #4
encore
Tomatovillian™

should have maybe tried it on one plant first. lol
Old August 17, 2016   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've never done well with soap sprays. I would guess that you got it too strong, and that dissolved the natural oils on the plant, which made it sun scald and burn the leaves, even though you didn't spray in full sun.

Met52 will take out your whiteflies, if you are looking for alternatives to Malathion, which is the chem rounte. Met52 is $60 a bottle, but I can get 2-3 years out of one bottle, and that is having a few hundred plants. Storing it in the refrigerator prolongs its shelf life.

The thing about spraying Malathion is that the protective equipment you should buy for yourself ends up costing ten times what the spray costs. So the cheap chemical spray is not that cheap if you factor in the costs of a respirator, gloves, glasses, and maybe a spray suit if you are extra careful.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2016   #6
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Cole, when do you start spraying Met 52,i.e. at what size of plants, and at what intervals. It sounds like a possible solution to my TYLCV problem. Thanks in advance. Ron
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2016   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I try to wait until I see whiteflies first, but for the past two years, they have been out in early to mid June, So next year, I will just start spraying for them about that time.

I would really like to be able to wait until I see bugs before I spray, but at this point that looks like wishful thinking. I am starting to learn which bugs come out at what time. For me, from June through July, the order goes whiteflies, then stink bugs, then horn worms.
Old August 18, 2016   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Since I spray a solution for all my problem pests that is basically the same and it has 2 TBS Dawn to the gallon of water I don't think it is the soap since I don't really measure that closely and I am sure I have used a higher amount. It could be the fact that you sprayed it two days in a row leaving a heavy buildup or it could be the oil mixed in the solution. I had trouble in the past with soap buildup causing some leaf damage due to buildup when I sprayed too often or too many times over the course of a few weeks.

I use a mix that has the Dawn but also Permethrin and food grade DE. The combination of the three has virtually eliminated whiteflies and aphids in my garden even though I was spraying for stinkbugs, leaf footed bugs or spider mites at the time. I think the residual of fine film of DE left on the leaves does a great job eliminating most of the newly hatched insects that come out after spraying while the Permethrin and Dawn get many of the adults within a short time after spraying.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2016   #9
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

DE/Neem/a few drops of soap has worked for me.
+/- permethrin depending on the tomato bugs' presence
(found a 34% racemic mixture at only 6 USD for 100 mL
down here, I add only a few mL to the mix and pow, right
in the kisser!)

Today for example, since I haven't used the above in
over a week, is a good day to spray Met52, as it is fungal spores.

I saw damage like the first post with a mix I made of
soap and mineral oil, sometimes they stay frozen for
a bit, and then decide to grow out of it. Sometimes they don't.

Let's not forget the sticky traps, they help too.

My two main enemies:

Die Die Die!

die die die2.jpg

Tomato Bug: you can see its long snout used to pierce
and suck the life out of new growth

death warrant 5.jpg
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #10
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Looks like some insect has been sucking the juices out of the leaves, leaving those pale spots. It also looks like they need a little nitrogen. Leaves are kind of pale.
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #11
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I've never done well with soap sprays. I would guess that you got it too strong, and that dissolved the natural oils on the plant, which made it sun scald and burn the leaves, even though you didn't spray in full sun.

Met52 will take out your whiteflies, if you are looking for alternatives to Malathion, which is the chem rounte. Met52 is $60 a bottle, but I can get 2-3 years out of one bottle, and that is having a few hundred plants. Storing it in the refrigerator prolongs its shelf life.

The thing about spraying Malathion is that the protective equipment you should buy for yourself ends up costing ten times what the spray costs. So the cheap chemical spray is not that cheap if you factor in the costs of a respirator, gloves, glasses, and maybe a spray suit if you are extra careful.
Old August 20, 2016   #12
creeker
Tomatovillian™

To anyone's knowledge will Met52 kill or control squash bugs?
Old August 20, 2016   #13
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Root aphids, thrips, whiteflies, vine weevils, aphids, russet mites, two-spotted spider mites, broad mites, and blemisia is what Novozymes claims.

It can be a little rough on the flowers.

0 post harvest interval is the cool part
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
To anyone's knowledge will Met52 kill or control squash bugs?
Squash and stink bugs are some of the hardest to kill. Met52 will kill them if you hit them directly with the spray. It still takes about three days for them to die. I would guess there are more cost-effective ways to control squash bugs.

Met52 really shines with use on bugs whose population spirals exponentially out of control, like whiteflies and mites. Met52 is biological warfare. It's a bug disease. The dense population gives the disease a chance to spread.
Old August 20, 2016   #15
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Gerardo and Cole. Good information. Thats why I love this forum, I'm learning so much I wish I knew years ago.