Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old January 13, 2012   #46
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! (space filler)
jgaleota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #47
texasrockgarden
Tomatovillian™

I have a Craftsman 4-cycle that does a good job.

I have replaced the fuel lines and the primer bulb because they rotted out and started leaking. I learned to not leave the tiller sitting out in the sun all summer.

With my 4-cycle there are instructions in the owners manual to adjust the valves every so many hours of operation. When the valves are out of adjustment and the engine heats up they run poorly.

There are some 4-cycle 2-stroke engines out there that require gas and oil to be mixed. Most of the mini-tillers I looked at before buying the Craftsman were 4-stroke engines with a crank case. The crank case on my Craftsman holds only around 3 oz of oil so I have to check it every time I use it.
texasrockgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #48
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrockgarden View Post
I have a Craftsman 4-cycle that does a good job.

I have replaced the fuel lines and the primer bulb because they rotted out and started leaking. I learned to not leave the tiller sitting out in the sun all summer.

With my 4-cycle there are instructions in the owners manual to adjust the valves every so many hours of operation. When the valves are out of adjustment and the engine heats up they run poorly.

There are some 4-cycle 2-stroke engines out there that require gas and oil to be mixed. Most of the mini-tillers I looked at before buying the Craftsman were 4-stroke engines with a crank case. The crank case on my Craftsman holds only around 3 oz of oil so I have to check it every time I use it.

Texasrockgarden, unless things have changed in the last few day there is no such thing as a 4 cycle 2 stroke engine. A 4 stroke engine has a piston and valves, you don't mix oil with the gas unless you are trying to foul the spark plug out. A two stroke engine has only pistons and no valves. They have ports cut into the cylinder that does the same job as valves on a four stroke. You do mix gas with the oil on two stokes only. Some two stroke engines do have a oil injector tank on them where you don't have to mix the gas and oil together. Not trying to be a smart ***, just want to explain there is a four stroke engine and a two stroke engine, not a 4 stroke 2 cycle one.
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #49
JoParrott

Default Cultivators

I use a Black & Decker 18 volt Cultivator- I have 4 accessories that all use the same battery-they are great for me at 77 years old! It only goes about 8" deep, but that's usually all I need to till anyway. Since it only goes back and forth, not dig into the ground, I can get close to plants without damaging roots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (30.6 KB, 17 views)
Old March 28, 2012   #50
texasrockgarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbeaz View Post
Texasrockgarden, unless things have changed in the last few day there is no such thing as a 4 cycle 2 stroke engine. A 4 stroke engine has a piston and valves, you don't mix oil with the gas unless you are trying to foul the spark plug out. A two stroke engine has only pistons and no valves. They have ports cut into the cylinder that does the same job as valves on a four stroke. You do mix gas with the oil on two stokes only. Some two stroke engines do have a oil injector tank on them where you don't have to mix the gas and oil together. Not trying to be a smart ***, just want to explain there is a four stroke engine and a two stroke engine, not a 4 stroke 2 cycle one.
Oops I'm getting old. I got a little confused with terminology but had the righ idea. This is the engine I was referring to http://www.stihlusa.com/whatsnew/news_fourmix.html which is a 4-stroke engine with no crankcase so the oil has to be mixed with the gas.
Old March 28, 2012   #51
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oops I'm getting old. I got a little confused with terminology but had the righ idea. This is the engine I was referring to http://www.stihlusa.com/whatsnew/news_fourmix.html which is a 4-stroke engine with no crankcase so the oil has to be mixed with the gas.
Your terminology may have been wrong but, you were right. This is a new designed engine that I have never heard of until today. A 4 stroke engine that doesn't have a crank case so you have to mix the oil with the gas. Who would have thought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #52
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbeaz View Post
Your terminology may have been wrong but, you were right. This is a new designed engine that I have never heard of until today. A 4 stroke engine that doesn't have a crank case so you have to mix the oil with the gas. Who would have thought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually we have been running 4 cycle engines with fuel and oil mixture in model airplanes for many years, (look up SAITO engines). Thet have some pretty amazing little power plants, glow power, gasoline power, single-cylinder, multi-cylinder even five cylinder radials. I have a couple four stroke and one radial in my collection. They have a smooth low end with lots of torque to swing bigger (read scale) props. Two cycles just have to rev to high to make power to swing those big props. They are very popular and very desirable on the flight line

PS - I have been super happy with my old Mantis (Echo 2 cycle). After 18 years though it needs replacement...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg SAIE325R5D_a0.jpeg (10.5 KB, 24 views)

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #53
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My thought is why would I want to mess with fuel oil mixtures if I don't have to. I suspect it has to do with being an all position engine but I hate messing with gas oil mixtures. That's why I bought the 4 cycle Mantis.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #54
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

One more comment. The local marina has ethanol free gas. It's about $.20 a gallon more expensive than regular gas.
Old March 31, 2012   #55
texasrockgarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
My thought is why would I want to mess with fuel oil mixtures if I don't have to. I suspect it has to do with being an all position engine but I hate messing with gas oil mixtures. That's why I bought the 4 cycle Mantis.
Amen! My thoughts exactly.
Old March 31, 2012   #56
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

I bought the no cycle Troybilt electric tiller earlier this year and could not be happier with it. I tilled eight 3X12 beds plus spots for watermelon, cantaloupe and peppers and it is extremely powerful for a small electric. It runs on household current and even has a cord minder to prevent accidental mishaps.Anyone that is going to buy a small tiller should at least give this one some consideration. No hard to start no gas no oil to mix just press the button and go to work.

ron

179.00 on sale at lowes
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #57
rws-NH-45
Tomatovillian™

I have a Honda Mini tiller that I got at Home Depot about 4 or 5 years ago. It has been great.

My only problem is (on mine, anyway) the oil dip stick either came broke off short, or was designed too short, so one time I over-filled it, and when it started BLACK SMOKE came out like crazy, and oil came out everywhere. I thought I had RUINED it. But the local small engine experts cleaned it up, put in a new spark plug and it runs great.

It does have a tendency for witch grass to wrap around the shaft that the tines are mounted on. I took a extra big fork and bent the tines down like a claw which I could use to pull out the grass. But if I need to remove the tines, they come off fairly easy by just removing a big spring clip.

good luck all,
Richard
rws-NH-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #58
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
I suspect it has to do with being an all position engine but I hate messing with gas oil mixtures. That's why I bought the 4 cycle Mantis.

I have to agree. If I have a 4 cycle tiller I wouldn't see the need for mixing oil. An oil sump isn't that big of a complication and unlike model airplanes I don't generally plan to till upside down! An even if I were, Royobi had an oil sump on it's 4 cycle weedeater 12 years ago already that could run in any position.

I am sure it works well but I would have to completely surrender to brand loyalty to go for it...

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2012   #59
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

The problem I have with gas oil mixtures is that they don't stay as fresh as straight gas. It didn't matter as much before there was a bunch of alcohol in the fuel. More correctly alcohol and water. Combine that with carbs set as lean as they dare you are going to have problems. I can pour the remains in the Farmall H we have and make new, but I hate wasting the oil in the mix.

If you used your equipment everyday I don't think it would be a problem.

The other problem is if you blow up a machine that runs oil gas mixtures, it is very hard to get warrenty work. The first response you are going to get is the fuel was bad and how do you prove otherwise.
Old April 1, 2012   #60
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Dipchip....welcome to the world of the best tiller ever! I've had mine for 3 years now. Tills my raised beds in just a couple of minutes Turned a 20x30 patch of my yard into a fine powder...future corn patch. I'll never buy a gas tiller again!