Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old May 9, 2010   #1
John3
Tomatovillian™

Default Rock Dust

Anybody using rock dust in your garden?
If so what are your results?

The 1800's book that first started and found out about rock dust
http://www.archive.org/details/breadfromstones00hens

Attached Images
File Type: jpg az.JPG (40.7 KB, 542 views)

Last edited by John3; May 13, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There is a garlic grower here in Texas that uses rock dust but not all dust is the same.
http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/index.htm
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Sure do. Mix it with my container potting mix and at my surrogate raised bed at work. It is mined at a region in Germany that is called "The Emperors Chair" which is one of two extinct volcanic regions in Germany. Ami
Old May 11, 2010   #4
John3
Tomatovillian™

Worth thanks for the link - did a quick look and see and didn't find the rock dust segment. Found this quote some where
Quote:
A better yet rock dust comes from glacial gravel or volcanic rock like basalt. Another is montmorillonite. Montmorillonite is a very soft phyllosilicate mineral that typically forms in microscopic crystals, forming a clay. It is the main constituent of the volcanic ash weathering product, bentonite.
What have you used are researched as to the best for vegetable - fruit - nut gardens?

Ami
Are you finding any improvements using it?
Old May 11, 2010   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

John, It's one of the products I use in my tomato growing regemen. It can't hurt but it can certainly help. In order to test it's efficacy I would have to isolate plants to test so my approach is to try to cover all the bases in one shot and if something happens then I deal with it. So far I have had no problems with my plants. Ami
Old May 11, 2010   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Worth thanks for the link - did a quick look and see and didn't find the rock dust segment. Found this quote some where
What have you used are researched as to the best for vegetable - fruit - nut gardens?

Ami
Are you finding any improvements using it?
That guys web site goes on forever and he tells how he uses pulverized minerals (Rock Dust) on his garlic.
Old May 11, 2010   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/gardenyear.htm

Worth
Old May 11, 2010   #8
John3
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth
BTW I talked with a big quarry company here in Alabama and they said the rock dust I want (glacial gravel or volcanic rock) would be in Texas and Calif. area as the rock around here is marble and granite.

Anybody know of any online sellers of rock dust?
Old May 11, 2010   #9
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I used rock phosphate dust and greensand for potassium on my tomato fields for about a dozen years. I had great tomatoes but can't say if it helped or not. I had a great sandy loam soil to begin with, but figured unlike regular fertilizer, these would not leach away.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Thanks Worth
BTW I talked with a big quarry company here in Alabama and they said the rock dust I want (glacial gravel or volcanic rock) would be in Texas and Calif. area as the rock around here is marble and granite.

Anybody know of any online sellers of rock dust?
We have all of that plus marble and granite

Now gold dust would be nice.
Old May 11, 2010   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Come to think of it my garden is made up of rock dust and organic material from run off.

Worth
Old May 12, 2010   #12
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Sandy soil and heavy clay soil already has a high mineral content. The key is what mineral is lacking in the mix for growing vegetables. That's where your soil test comes in.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Sandy soil and heavy clay soil already has a high mineral content. The key is what mineral is lacking in the mix for growing vegetables. That's where your soil test comes in.
Or you can just put the plants in the ground and watch them grow like weeds like I do.
I hate to say this but I can look at soil and tell whether or not it will grow anything.
Not against soil tests I just dont feel I need to do it, if the plant is dark green and growing fast and produces lots of babies then it's good enough for me.

Also in heavy clay the test will show minerals but due to the micro plate like structure of the soil many plants cant take up the available nutrients.
Other plants like pomegranates Vitex trees elephant ears cactus bears breeches bamboo and so forth do great.
Tomatoes and other vegetables not so good.
The reason I know this is because I have both soils on my property and have tested many different plants and done the research.

BUT if in any doubt or you have a big farm a soil test is a god start.
Worth
Old February 8, 2011   #14
creister
Tomatovillian™

Chicken Grit is crushed granite, which is supposed to be one of the rock fertilizers to add. Has anyone tried it, or heard results from using it. $8.00 for 50lbs.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #15
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Volcanic rock (and ash) seem to be the most sought after. In many regions of the world, some of the most fertile soils are around erupted volcanoes. When a volcano erupts, it kills everything within miles, but within a few years, everything comes back with increased vigor. A volcano brings rock from deep within the bowels of the earth which contain almost all of the major/minor minerals.

Like anything else,use in moderation can be beneficial. In excess, it could do significant harm to your soil. Large grit (as in fine sand) will not break down for many years. A fine, flour-like dust will add the trace elements to your soil for several years. As stated in the documentary, it is something that is added every 5 or 10 years. A detailed soil test would be appropriate prior to adding this to your soil. For soil-less mixes, it will probably improve vigor, flavor, and nutritional value.

If there is a gravel company near you, you can probably get all of it you need for free.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote