Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old September 6, 2012   #46
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

i have decent luck with superhots at $.25 apiece and decent luck with jalapenos but sell very few of anything in between. occasionally someone will make a bulk purchase of cayennes, etc but that is the exception rather than the norm.

my best selling pepper currently is probably the aji dulce- once people try them they are hooked.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2012   #47
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

ireally dont have good luck sellingmy hierlooms at my market except for the few customers that seek them..today i am making a big pot of sauce right now with the ones i didnt sell... my sungolds all went and thats the ony hybrid i grow..i still love growing only hierlooms .. customers look at the strange shapes and concentric cracking on some of them and are a bit skeptical to buy them.. the stupices sell as they are on the smaller side and look like early girls i guess
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012   #48
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Down here you can sell some cowpeas, purple hulls are the most popular. Maybe a few watermelons, a little okra.

Next year I am going about it as strictly seasonal, and strictly tomatoes. Plants included.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012   #49
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

We sell some purple hulls, too. They're a little easier to pick than other beans, because the pods hang from stems that stick up above the plant. Yellow wax beans sell at my market because no one else grows them. We also sell a lot of "strike" variety green beans, because they are small and tender. Other growers grow blue lake because they are bigger pods that yield more, but the beans are not as tender as strike. Picking them is murder on one's back, though.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #50
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I make raspberry hot pepper jam....MMMMMMmmmmm! goes like no other jam and hot pepper jelly to use the hot peppers. Stuff them and grill them, use them for stuffed peppers instead of sweet peppers, if the pepper is large enough or just layer them on the bottom of a casserole dish and heap on the filling. String them and dry them for winter seasonings....