Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 16, 2006   #16
Bargie
Tomatovillian™

Default Carolyn's book

I received my 100 Heirloom Tomatoes
for the American Garden for Christmas. Sure was happy. I have read it twice and still look at it once or twice a week. Thanks for the good job Carolyn.
Bargie
Bargie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2006   #17
honu
Tomatovillian™

This book is a gem! Beautifully photographed and packed with great info. I never thought I could grow these wonderful tomatoes, but Carolyn taught me how. Thank you so much, Carolyn!!
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2006   #18
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Yes, great book. I ordered through Amazon a few months back and have since read it twice. Now I've assigned my 10-year-old to read it. He's doing well, and has corrected me a few times where I was wrong. Specifically about the F1 generation not showing variables. "It's the F2 generation, MOM!" And he was right! (I'm a fast reader and I miss a lot... ) ANYWAY, if he can read it, understand it, and successfully grow tomatoes, let that be an encouragment to those newbies who are anxious about getting started.

If you don't have one; get one! Consider it an investment in the future (in more ways than one).

Lisa
Old February 20, 2006   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And may I say that Mischka made this thread a sticky, not me.

He posted elsewhere that it was his thank you for my tomato contributions.

So thank you Mischka, and as I said in an earlier post, none of this is directed at selling more books, on my part, I could care less.

Haven't seen a penny in royalties and don't expect to and didn't expect to when I was asked to write the book.

But I am glad that many of you are finding it useful.
Old February 21, 2006   #20
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

There is no question the book is excellent. The pictures are great. Why has there not been a sequal?
lubadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2006   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I've been asked that many times.

And the several reasons are outlined in a very long thread in the chat area at GW titled Heirlooms II
Old February 21, 2006   #22
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn ~

and what a classic thread that was ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #23
bully
Tomatovillian™

I signed up to read the kindergarten class a book.

That's right ol bully was the guest reader at Shrine of the little flower.
I was a little nervous, I grabbed my copy of 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden...and there was Mrs. Bully blocking the door.

"Where are you going with that?"

"I plan on reading this here book to those younguns up to the school house "

They ended up loving the stupid Panda Palace book I read...Hmmph ..mean old Mrs. Bully
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #24
Emaewest
Tomatovillian™

Well, this is really kinda funny, though a little embarrassing. I've had this book for more than a year, and have looked through it more times than I can imagine, but it was only last night that I "found" the title page with the picture of fuzzy tomatoes. I have no idea how I missed it, but I was I ever surprised to see it! Doh!

Carolyn: I would love to have your autograph. If I sent you a label, would you be willing to sign it and send it back to me so I can stick it in my book?

"Some people have a way with words, and other people... not have way." ---Steve Martin
Emaewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sure Rhonda, I'd be glad to autograph the label you'd send me.

Th autograph cost has now reached $500/autograph, with your real name included.

I jest, surely I jest.

If you don't have my address pm or e-mail me for it.
Old March 2, 2006   #26
Emaewest
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Carolyn.

Are you sure $500 is enough? :wink:

"Some people have a way with words, and other people... not have way." ---Steve Martin
Emaewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2006   #27
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I agree Rhonda ~
But I already mailed my check !!!
lol ~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I went to Austin for the sole reason to buy Carolyn’s Book, after going to several bookstores I had to give up.
In one well-established store (Borders), there were at least 3 rows of books on how to grow marijuana.
They had more books on how to grow marijuana than any other subject.
Now this place isn’t a head shop it is a bookstore for the general public.
Now I will let you guys know right now I’m not against selling books on any subject as long as it does not involve the mistreatment of children in an unsavory manor, but this was the gardening section.
If you grow this stuff and use it you will get hungry and if you get hungry you need to have tomatoes for a very big BLT maybe three BLT’s to eat.
You need to learn how to grow tomatoes for this.
From what I have heard and read on the subject Carolyn’s book is THE BOOK to have, no if’s and’s or but’s about it.
I guess only in Austin would someone run into this problem.
I will now call TGS and get them to send me one, all of this talk of autographs and such is just fine but I would be happy with just the book.

Carolyn probably gave up hand signatures a long time ago and uses one of those fancy rubber stamps like those big shot politicians do during election time. :wink:

And it is my fault for not having it yet.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2006   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Carolyn probably gave up hand signatures a long time ago and uses one of those fancy rubber stamps like those big shot politicians do during election time.

Did not, did not.

Fact is that only three folks since 1999 have sent me books to autograph, and I did so by what we call doing it manually, , and just today I sent out a pre-printed label that I autographed for someone who had sent it to me, which was much easier to do than having the whole book sent and then me trying to get it sent back.

Hey Worth, you want an autograph?

Price is up to $1,000, but only for Texans, who are known to have excess cash at all times.
Old March 15, 2006   #30
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hey Worth,

I had the same experience. I love going to Border's just becuase. I decicded to look for some organic gardening books. Anyhow, in the gardening section there were a couple of stoner high school dudes reading books on how to grow Mary Jane hydroponically....Well, at least they are reading. :wink: Who knows, maybe this is a marketing scheme to get them to learn how to garden other good stuff . Rumor has it, stoners are great gardeners who really love and nurture their plants. Perhaps, we'll see these boys on Tomatoville in a couple of years.

I did feel a little ackwards reaching for my books that were on the row just above theirs...I almost felt like we were in the same "Adult" row. Ironically, I am pretty open minded (I don't do the stuff, but I don't pass judgement on others 'cause I am not God). I guess I felt ackward because these boys looked so young.

Anyways, I really think that Borders needs to beef up their gardening section. It's pretty weak in Sacramento too.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote