Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old February 11, 2009   #1
rellis
Tomatovillian™

Default Fengyuan Purple & Pingtung

I'm getting ready to order eggplant seeds this year and I was wondering if anyone has grown Fengyuan Purple & Pingtung eggplant? If so how do they compare in flavor and productivity to Ichiban & Thai Long Green eggplant?
rellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2009   #2
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Hi, rellis.

I'm not going to be of much help as I normally dislike eggplant. [Shock! Horror! Dismay!] But I do notice that both of your selections, Fengyuan Purple & Pingtung, were developed in Taiwan, where I spent many years. My wife and son love, love, love Taiwan's eggplant. My wife says Ichiban is okay, but not as good as eggplant grown in Taiwan.

Hope this helps.

Zaijian.......Xin Nian Kuai Le!

Michael
Old February 11, 2009   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Rellis-I have grown Pintung Long for several years-great eggplant, produces like crazy and tastes wonderful! Anything else I can tell you? I will grow it this year, along with applegreen and black beauty and a couple others.
Old February 12, 2009   #4
rellis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
I'm not going to be of much help as I normally dislike eggplant. [Shock! Horror! Dismay!] But I do notice that both of your selections, Fengyuan Purple & Pingtung, were developed in Taiwan, where I spent many years. My wife and son love, love, love Taiwan's eggplant. My wife says Ichiban is okay, but not as good as eggplant grown in Taiwan.
Michael:
You should try slicing an Asian eggplant like a yellow summer squash or zucchini, then batter it up and fry.

I've yet to try something fried that I didn't like. I'm beginning to believe that if a person batter and fried a shoe most people would eat it and ask for seconds!

Does your wife remember the names of the eggplants she tried in Taiwan?

Bye & Happy Chinese New Year to You also!
mdvpc:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
I have grown Pintung Long for several years-great eggplant, produces like crazy and tastes wonderful! Anything else I can tell you? I will grow it this year, along with applegreen and black beauty and a couple others.
Michael:
Have you grown other Asian eggplant. What types? And, how would you rate it compared to them. I have limited space and I need to decide (based on taste, tenderness & productivity) which two varieties to plant this year.
Old February 19, 2009   #5
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

I have grown the Ping Tung, very reliable and productive. The fruit is tender and sweet (non bitter) and it don't need to be peeled off.

Have you think of trying green apple aubergine, this one is suppose to be very good too.
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2009   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I grow applegreen every year-great producing and wonderful eggplant. You cant go wrong with it. SSE sells it.

Catalog # 619 The only eggplant this season to thrive at Heritage farm during our record-setting cold and wet summer. Developed by the late Professor Meader in 1964. Productive upright 2-3' plants. Oval fruits are 5" in diameter with pale-green skin and mild white flesh, non-acid flavor, no need to peel. Extra-early and productive. 62-70 days from transplant. CERTIFIED ORGANIC
Old February 23, 2009   #7
rellis
Tomatovillian™

Tomaat & Michael,

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered Green Apple seed today along with some pepper seeds from TGS. TGS lists it as Green Apple and SEE lists its as Applegreen. I hope they are the same plant.

Robert