Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 27, 2012   #1
FrankT

Default Curling leafs on tomato plants -- cause? -- remedy?

I have six different varieties of tomato plants in 10 gallon containers which were planted tthree weeks ago. This morning I noticed the leafs were bginning to curl on three of the plants (two of the plants have begin to blossom). Any advice on the the cause and possible remedy would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 27, 2012   #2
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

FrankT,
If you could post a picture of your problem plants, a better analysis of your problem could be given. There a many reasons for a plant to curl it's leaves. Some can be a problem and some may not. Also if you post some pictures, be sure to list your watering and fertilizing schedule. The more info that you post along with a description of your problem will get you better results from members on Tomatov'ille.
DP
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #3
grow24122
Tomatovillian™

When I grew my Tomato seedling when I over watered them the leave would curl so be sure your pots have good drain holes and water only if your soil is dry a couple of inches down. This may not be your problem so some picture may help. Good luck
grow24122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #4
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Leaf roll on tomato plants occur when they are stressed. The stress could be a result of too hot or too cold temps, too much water, or too dry, or too much fertilizer.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #5
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Aren't leaf "curl" and "roll" two different things? To me, a curl means when the leaf looks like a fiddle fern shape, the entire leaf usually curling downward. A roll implies the leaf's outer edges rolling inward towards the center, no?

So would you say its definitely a curl, and if so, down or up?

Either way, its stress of some sort but I think we have to clarify for FrankT by what is meant by these 2 words. I think in other posts I have read that the curling is often a sign of damage from Roundup, perhaps drifting on the wind from a neighboring property. The rolling is maybe heat stress? I am not an expert but I have seen the rolling, and it usually goes away after I water well after a very hot day. For the first time ever, I have 2 plants with the downward curl, very mystified till I read about it here in T'Ville. No other surrounding plants have it, but the 2 are still going strong despite the curls.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Frank, What varieties are curling? Anything unusual going on with the weather? Have you made any fertilizer/insecticide applications to the plants and if so when. Are your containers top watered or SWC's (Self watering containers)? Ami
Old May 28, 2012   #7
FrankT

Default Curling leaves ...

First, a Happy Memorial Day to all, and secondly thank you for your replies to my post.

I think peebee somewhat clarified the situation for me by pointing out the difference between leaf "roll" and leaf "curl". My plants seem to be experiencing leaf "roll". I'm sorry, but I am unable to show pictures of the problem.

The three plants showing the symptons are Big Beef, Jet Star, and Sun Gold. The San Marzano, Health Kick, and Supersweet 100 are showing no sign of the problem.

As mentioned in my original post, my plants are planted in 10-gallon containers, with Pro-Mix BX used for the planting medium, and top-watered. I fertilized with Tomato-Tone two weeks after planting with the reccomended amount of 3 Tbls. per plant. Also, I have sprayed twice for what appears to be flea beetles.

I have watered daily in the a.m hours, however,
my area of Pennsylvania has experienced quite a bit of rainfall over the the past ten days. From the replies I've received, it seems to be over-watering could be the problem.

Any additional thoughts?
Old May 28, 2012   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Also in PA and growing lots of varieties for the past two years, I've seen a lot of leaf roll and it seems to bother some varieties more than others even though all get the same treatment. Often the leaves just stayed that way for the season- usually the lower ones. It doesn't seem to interfere with fruit production. There are so many possible causes that it's diffucult to pinpoint the problem so I would just ignore it if it's not leaf curl.

Flea beetles are very common here, too, and usually just affect the bottom leaves. They don't transmit any disease I know of so I don't spray for them- but I squish the slower, distracted ones.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #9
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
They don't transmit any disease I know of so I don't spray for them- but I squish the slower, distracted ones.

kath
You do realize you are selecting for the faster more alert ones.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
You do realize you are selecting for the faster more alert ones.
Yeah, I was hoping no one would notice that. It makes me feel better to kill some and I think you can sneak up on any of them if conditions are right.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #11
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

You water daily in the am hours? Downs that seem like a lot. Have you tested to see if you are overwatering?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote