Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 31, 2012   #31
Ivy123
Tomatovillian™

ahhh, ty Mohntr..
Ivy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012   #32
Mohntr
Tomatovillian™

Np

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Mohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #33
Ivy123
Tomatovillian™

By the way, nice set up ponyboy...Ya know, I always did have kind of a crush on ponyboy and sodapop..:: grin
Old June 1, 2012   #34
Ivy123
Tomatovillian™

hey rockporter..I went to that garden supplies and regeistered to order the flexile fencing wanted to order about 4 of them.... however it jumps up t0 19/ 500.00$ or more and wont let me change/update any of it....Can the public order from this site?.... grrrr Maybe if I sign off and back up again>>>>
Old June 1, 2012   #35
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Wait, let me check something Ivy and yes the public can order from them. Hang on please.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #36
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Double post deleted

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 1, 2012   #37
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy123 View Post
hey rockporter..I went to that garden supplies and regeistered to order the flexile fencing wanted to order about 4 of them.... however it jumps up t0 19/ 500.00$ or more and wont let me change/update any of it....Can the public order from this site?.... grrrr Maybe if I sign off and back up again>>>>

http://www.gardeners.com/Flexible-Ga...lexible%20grid

You are talking about these grids correct? You shouldn't have any problem with buying those costing $25.00 each if you order 2 packs of them.

I have something else I want to check before you order, hold on please.

Ivy, I am sending a PM

sending one more PM

One more thing, sorry, I think in portions so it just happens that I post alot, lol.

I would go ahead and drill at least three or four holes in the rim of your buckets to zip tie the grids to your bucket. It will keep the grids straight up and stable. There is nothing better in my opinion for a 5 gallon bucket if you need to have things look nice in your garden and have small spaces to garden.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; June 1, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old June 1, 2012   #38
Ivy123
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much rockporter! Those are the exact gids.. What a great site....You mentioned that it would take about 1 month to recieve them...If I ordered from the original site would they get here any faster? ( cause i needed them like yesterday, my mators are screaming "suppot me" lol)...For everything else on my wish list> woohoo!lol....I'll try to hold off till I hear from you

Great suggestion about tieing the grids to the bucket..I was also thinking of tieing the buckets to a couple of stakes in the ground= weather proof for the tall indeterminates.
Old June 1, 2012   #39
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

PonyMan

that is one incredible rolling vegie tray.....LOL

Great design, love it and self watering...can't ask for anything better.

Jan
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #40
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks so much rockporter! Those are the exact gids.. What a great site....You mentioned that it would take about 1 month to recieve them...If I ordered from the original site would they get here any faster? ( cause i needed them like yesterday, my mators are screaming "suppot me" lol)...For everything else on my wish list> woohoo!lol....I'll try to hold off till I hear from you

Great suggestion about tieing the grids to the bucket..I was also thinking of tieing the buckets to a couple of stakes in the ground= weather proof for the tall indeterminates.
Ivy, those grids are only sold at the original site because they are exclusive to them, you will just go through the other site to get to the actual ordering site and the discount will come in for you. Let me know if you need help on that so you get the discount I told you of. If you don't do it right then it won't work. I don't know how long it would take to get them now but since it is spring it might take a while. They will come though, I promise you that.

Yes, use more support if you have inderterminates in your bucket, I will post some photos of the extra support I just had to put in mine because I was given indeterminates but she swore they were a determinate tomato plant. Lotls of cutting back for me because I don't have the space or the ability to secure them to the ground.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 1, 2012   #41
Ivy123
Tomatovillian™

Thank you bunches Connie! (smile)
Old June 2, 2012   #42
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Your welcome Ivy and here is a pic of the supports I told you I had to get for the unexpected indeterminates I was given. They were supposed to be determinates and well surprise! Unfortunately I have had to cut them way back because I don't have the space for them and the fact they become real top heavy is a bad thing here too. I cannot sink anything into the ground here.

If you want to grow indeterminates in your buckets you will need to find a way to keep them upright.

In the meantime I used some green 6' long posts I purchased at walmart to provide extra support in my grids. I zip tied them to the bottom of the grid as well as the top of the gird and this allows me to tie the long branches up for support.

See the photo and here is the link for what I bought at Walmart. The link is for the 4' one but I bought the 6' one at the store and I didn't buy in bulk, they don't have that choice for Walmart for the 6'. Of course I am not sure what I would have done with 100 of them.

I used three per bucket to allow for support and sometimes I think I could have used more. The 6' ones cost more than $2 each I think.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bond-Manuf...100pc/20221691
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6'gardenrodsaddedforsupportinearthbucket5gallon.JPG (209.0 KB, 119 views)

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 2, 2012   #43
Ivy123
Tomatovillian™

(starring at your pic)..................... ahhh craaap! ( quickly writing it on the "honey do list")

lol Connie, I may be Pming you later about that set up... ty
Old June 2, 2012   #44
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
(starring at your pic)..................... ahhh craaap! ( quickly writing it on the "honey do list")

lol Connie, I may be Pming you later about that set up... ty

LOL, Uh Huh, lol. that plant was about 5' wide and I had to cut way way back. I lost so much possible fruit from all the flower sets I had to cut off. The space you see that one 5 gallon bucket and one EB should be holding 4 five gallon buckets with determinate tomatoes in it.

I now have my buckets spread all over the yard. I am not happy about the indeterminates for sure, if only I had the room for them I would be more than happy to grow them out year after year because they are doing really well after all.

PM anytime.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 2, 2012   #45
Ivy123
Tomatovillian™

lolol Connie, ya know, I'm rethinking this whole determinate thing..I mean, canning aint so bad lol... I have 3 indeterminates on a 10 by 11 patio haha..But seriously, we're just going to have to figure out something..I want my indeterminates..... I've made a little hole in the bottom of my buckets and tied a string/stick under it and brought it up through the dirt.... I've been trying to talk hubby into just putting a nail in the overhang of wood/roof to stake it.. He's just not going for it lol

by the way what variety is that?