Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 30, 2008   #16
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I orginally planted :
Black Beauty
Long Purple Dark
Rosa Bianca

As an after thought I planted Pingtung Long seeds and bought a Fairy Tale plant. Lucky I did, because the Pingtung long and Fairy Tale are starting to produce and the Long Purple Dark and Rosa Bianca plants all died, and my Black Beauties are behind.

How is everyone else's plants doing?

thanks

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2008   #17
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I had heard/read that Prosperosa was not a heavy producer but my plants are really cranking out the fruit! They remind me a lot of Rosa Bianca with more purple on the skin. They're about the same shape and size.

Louisiana Long Green is super productive, as always. These plants are healthier than the Prosperosa for me. They always have several fruit on them at various stages of growth. I cooked five of them last night. Flavor is always excellent. I think this is my fourth season growing these.

I miss White Beauty from last year. Wish I'd started at least a couple of plants. Maybe in 2009.
Old July 30, 2008   #18
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

diamond, ukrainian beauty, pingtung long, and a variety from an iranian lady are doing ok, but are still small. june wasn't very warm in the keewenaw, and the plants don't take off until it stays warm. hope to have at least blossoms when we head back to the farm later today.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2008   #19
tigahb8
Tomatovillian™

My prosperosa loads every year, its also earlier than
Rosa Bianca, with better fruits when the heat sets in, both outproduce Black Bell 2 in the 95+ degree heat we have, but the Nada has been a very pleasent surprise, very large
plants with elongated mild black eggplants.

ButchT
tigahb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2008   #20
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Everything I planted was from seeds people here were kind enough to send me. I have:

Ukranian Beauty
Italian White - which confused me because it's green
Chinese White Sword
Louisiana Long Green

I have am amusing story about the Chinese White Sword &
Louisiana Long Green. I was using the oven to germinate seeds, a process that has worked quite well for me. I warm up the oven, shut it off, and as soon as it cools down enough, I put in the pots of dirt and seeds. It takes the oven quite a while to cool completely, so it warms the soil and seeds, and I've had pretty good germination results.

All was going well, until my husband turned on the oven one night, forgetting I had seeds and pots in there. He didn't discover his mistake until the oven was already preheated and he was opening it to put in his pizza. Oops! I knew for sure that those seeds were goners. Some of the styrofoam cups I had used had started melting onto the rack. So I took the containers and replanted them with basil. A while later, I noticed some plants growing in the container with the basil, that definitely were not basil. It was my Chinese White Sword and Lousianna Long Green. Now those are some tough seeds! Those were the only 2 that got baked. So I call those my pre-baked eggplants. LOL!

All my plants seem to yielding pretty well. My baked ones are a little behind the other two. The Italian White has outproduced any other eggplant I've grown, which haven't been all that many, but still, it's pretty impressive. Both plants are just covered with fruit of varying sizes. It is like every bloom is female and every bloom sets.

Chinese White Sword seems to have a very short shelf life. I only have a couple of days before it goes bad. Is that normal? The others have held up a little better.
Old August 2, 2008   #21
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Diamond
Thai Long Green
Black Beauty
Ping Tung Long was a no-show this year.

We've had a cool and very wet summer as well. The plants in the garden are still somewhat small and only one of 5 have blossoms.

However, my Diamond container plants (near but not on blacktop) are producing fruit.

I've been following the posts here about white varieties and have already put Cloud 9 and possibly Rosa Bianca on my eggplant wish list for 2009.
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2008   #22
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Tango from DeRuiter Seeds is doing well in 15 gallon grow bags. Seeds are expensive ($9.50 for 15 seeds from Johnny's) but there sure are a lot of eggplants on one plant. Mine started producing in mid-July. The first ones picked now have 8 to 10 new fruit on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tango.jpg (170.1 KB, 63 views)
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2008   #23
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

What a gorgeous picture! Thanks for posting!
Old August 3, 2008   #24
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Rather pricey, but David, yours isn't the first Rave Review I've read about Tango.
And they look good too! Thanks for posting about them.
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2008   #25
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Just sown - Banan, de Barbentane, Louisiana Long Green, Ping Tung Long, Snowy and Violetta Lunga. These are all new to me this season.
Old August 17, 2008   #26
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao all-

I'm growing Rosa Bianca, Casper, Listada di Gandia, Round Mauve, and Diamond. The plants are still fairly small, roughly 2 ft tall, but they're starting to produce fruit now. Harvests will depend whether we get some heat for the next few weeks. The days are starting to shorten already. This is a disappointing eggplant year to be sure, nothing like 2006 when I was running out of things to make with them and I was sure people at church would run away as they saw me coming with more.
Old March 29, 2009   #27
dew
Tomatovillian™

Default Burpee's medley

Applegreen, Ros Bianca, Millionaire and Snowy are in there...question, how can I tell them apart - or can I, until they give me eggplants?

I don't really like Black Beauty - so I am trying different varieties
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #28
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

dew,

This is my first year growing eggplant so I can't answer your question, but I'm curious as to why you didn't like Black Beauty when you tried it? It's the only variety I have that the seed pack was purchased at a local store (Meijer's).

Growing Diamond, Rossa Bianca, Italian White, and Ichiban F3, along with the Black Beauty of course. I'll probably be using my 3 "Burpee Aqua Shields" for my eggplant seedlings after I get my rhubarb seedlings established for a week or two using them. Well, at least two of the shields will be used for eggplant, the other will be used for a nice sized Prudence Purple tomato seedling that needs to be transplanted soon.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2009   #29
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone,

I'm trying applegreen, long purple italian, udmalbet, and something called turkish italian this year.

Last edited by hmacdona; April 20, 2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2009   #30
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I have 8 or 9 White Lightening eggplants sent by TGS as a sub for something I ordered that they didn't have. We'll see - bet they'll be tasty.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote