Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 9, 2018   #2446
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Kate was an English Setter. We also had a Liver Pointer named Lady later with the same traits of being an awesome bird dog, honestly, an even better guard dog than Kate was, and an awesome family dog. She was the first dog we ever had to have put down . Broke my siblings and my heart.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #2447
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Kate and Lady sound like they were class dogs.

Garbage hound, ha. I have to watch these two with horse manure, and they are always eating tissue, papers, or cardboard. That white one also likes to gobble potholders and washclothes...he is quite worrisome, actually. I knew he was going to be trouble when I took him in the fields as puppy and he was successfully catching and wolfing down mice before I could stop him.

Below is the best dog I've ever seen, my first springer. He was always being mistaken for a setter. Tall and 62lb for his hunting prime, which was basically from 1-1/2 yo to 9-1/2. A+ personality, ability, and drive. Not mention a handsome bugger.

Pic is when he was 5, video when he was 10-1/2 with family is coming to the door. A neighbor recently got a dog with a similar voice and it makes me smile and want to cry at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chevy5yo.jpg (444.5 KB, 179 views)
Attached Files
File Type: avi happyhomecoming.AVI (3.38 MB, 21 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #2448
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

He was a beautiful dog, JR
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2018   #2449
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I must have played that video for an hour last night after I found it. I miss him every day.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2018   #2450
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default A beautiful Cestrum spp. specimen

Misión de San Ignacio de Kadakaamán

The aroma made me look for it.

IMG_20180531_120739-01.jpeg

IMG_20180531_120814-01.jpeg

IMG_20180531_120823-01.jpeg
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #2451
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Here's a few pics from a rental property repair I just completed. This house was dragged two miles by a mule team in the 1930s, after it was purchased for $7. The catch was that it was located on land that was to be flooded to make a lake and thus had to be moved. The buyer also took the very large barn for $5 and did the same thing.

My now-deceased uncle did a lot of plumbing repairs that were sub-par, to say the least, such as not bothering to even glue the drain pipe plumbing pieces together. He just stuck them and left them. The tenant complained of soft floors. It turns out, the toilet was cracked and leaking, the bathtub drain was poorly installed and leaking badly, and the drain pipes had come apart so that the sink was draining into the dirt under the house.

I ripped out all the water damage, and it looked like this. I tried to tell the tenant that this "open floor plan" was very trendy at the moment, but she wanted a floor, believe it or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20180701_175711_4553222.jpg (299.9 KB, 88 views)
Old July 20, 2018   #2452
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The pipes fell apart underneath a wall, of course, so I had to crawl underneath and lay in the dirt to repair them. I could just barely reach.

I should call that guy from the Dirty Jobs show. Maybe he would put me on TV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20180701_175949_2808222.jpg (133.7 KB, 90 views)
Old July 20, 2018   #2453
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The outside floor joists had been eaten away by termites. I only had two floor joists to build on. The third was under the wall. The outside two feet and the inside two feet of the floor are like a diving platform, only supported on one side. I put down a layer of 2x4s sideways, then a layer of 3/4" OSB where the hole was, and then I decked another layer of 3/4 OSB over the entire room. Then luan on top of that, primed it with Kilnz it, and the tile is stick-down vinyl, which works well on drastically unlevel floors like this one.

Stick-down has a bad reputation for not sticking down, but a lot of people skip the luan or birch plywood underlayment and also the step of painting it with primer. A quality tile product helps, too. This one was only about a dollar per square foot, but I seen them as cheap as 29 cents, for a much thinner, inferior product.

The floor still slopes drastically, but it only gives a tiny bit when I bounce on it over the platform parts. I also have a crazy copper supply pipe coming up at an angle next to the tub, but I just caulked and trimmed around it, and secured it to the wall.

Materials cost was about $400, including $100 for the new toilet. The renter is happy with her new bathroom:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20180718_175617_137222222.jpg (240.2 KB, 92 views)
Old July 20, 2018   #2454
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

What a contrast between the lovely Cestrum Gerardo found and the very dirty job below it.
Congrats Cole Robbie for turning something ugly into a clean start for the upcoming years for your tenant.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #2455
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks good.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #2456
bower
Tomatovillian™

That flooring looks great, Cole. I must say I used stick down vinyl tile on my unfinished porch/entrance floor and it has worn really well, considering it is t&g board not even a level surface.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #2457
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The outside floor joists had been eaten away by termites. I only had two floor joists to build on. The third was under the wall. The outside two feet and the inside two feet of the floor are like a diving platform, only supported on one side. I put down a layer of 2x4s sideways, then a layer of 3/4" OSB where the hole was, and then I decked another layer of 3/4 OSB over the entire room. Then luan on top of that, primed it with Kilnz it, and the tile is stick-down vinyl, which works well on drastically unlevel floors like this one.

Stick-down has a bad reputation for not sticking down, but a lot of people skip the luan or birch plywood underlayment and also the step of painting it with primer. A quality tile product helps, too. This one was only about a dollar per square foot, but I seen them as cheap as 29 cents, for a much thinner, inferior product.

The floor still slopes drastically, but it only gives a tiny bit when I bounce on it over the platform parts. I also have a crazy copper supply pipe coming up at an angle next to the tub, but I just caulked and trimmed around it, and secured it to the wall.

Materials cost was about $400, including $100 for the new toilet. The renter is happy with her new bathroom:
What a transformation! BRAVO!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #2458
salix
Tomatovillian™

Must say I admire a man/person who can 'muck in' and get a dirty job done with such a good result. I know many who would never even consider such a project. Two thumbs up!
Old July 22, 2018   #2459
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A picture says a lot. What do you see?

The AKC registered German shepherd is a recued dog. The spindle is his favorite toy - it's almost as old as I am. The oak firewood was cut in April. Excessive heat ages wood in a hurry. The ground he is lying on is alive with RKN. That old mop is something I should have thrown away months ago. Grandchildren's toys are everywhere.

But what I see is a happy dog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01356.JPG (174.4 KB, 43 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #2460
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the compliments.

And as you can tell from my avatar, I love German Shepherds. Nice pic, Salt.