Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 17, 2018   #1
conyaks
Tomatovillian™

Default Hydroponics DWC outdoor

This is the root ball after four weeks of being transplanted from soil to hydro. bought the plant from a home improvement store here in az. I think I may have planted it to late (It's Really hot now) as I have no flowers yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nuted.jpg (158.0 KB, 51 views)
conyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

That's some really healthy looking roots. I think you should be getting flowers even if they don't set.

Is this the first time you are doing DWC outside? I always considered it on a small basis but how do you handle the rain?

How hot does the water get? I would put those windshield sun shields around the buckets to keep the water temperature down.

We're coming to the end of fruit set because our night time lows are reaching > 72.

What are your daytime highs / night time lows?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018   #3
conyaks
Tomatovillian™

Yes first time doing dwc outside, It hasn't rained since Ive transplanted her but the plant is under a overhang in the backyard. I haven't measured the temperature in the solution after a long hot day yet. I am going to start throwing a 2 liter bottle of frozen water in the bucket before I goto work at night for the next day and change it daily. Daytime Highs are high 90's and Low's are low 60's. I'm currently Using General Hydroponics Flora Series for nutrients. 30 Mils of Micro, 30 Mils of Grow and 15 mils of Bloom this is for 3 gallons of solution. 8 or so years ago I grew a pepper plant in a closet, came out good but now I'm messing with growing outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150536_1676673232802_1615166_n.jpg (94.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 151036_1676673112799_8111210_n.jpg (91.9 KB, 41 views)
conyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #4
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

If water temp is a problem a cheap solution could be wrapping a piece of fiberglass insulation around the bucket. The pink stuff from the hardware store that is used inside walls between the studs. It comes big 15” wide rolls which just so happens to be the height of most 5 gallon buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You can also stack blocks or bricks around the bucket. The mass evens out temperature fluctuations. Burying the bucket is ideal, but a big rain will fill up the hole and float out the bucket.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote