Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 21, 2018   #1
hazeldazel
Tomatovillian™

Default Set up my string trellis with rollerhooks

I'm growing my tomatoes is 7 gallon grow bags with 2 gal/hr drippers set to 15 minutes 2x a day (so 1 gallon per day). They're growing great and all are flowering like mad. Finally put up my trellis with rollerhooks. The PVC uprights are 7 ft tall with a metal bar inside (there's a PVC sleeve at the bottom of the upright for stability) and 100 lb plastic coated galvanized wire stretched between the uprights. I've used string trellis and tomato clips before, this is the first year to use Rollerhooks so I can lower as they grow instead of climbing a ladder. Pretty happy with everything so far!

Left to right: Cherokee Purple, Mr Stripey, Lilian's Yellow, San Marzano, Sungold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1m8iugP.jpg (673.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 7oDYdwz.jpg (358.4 KB, 90 views)
hazeldazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #2
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

great setup, can't wait to see them climb.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #3
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

Nice clean job.
lexxluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #4
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

That's looks good!!! Till they reach the top and it's time to lower and lean, are you gonna extend it to lower? Are you feeding them with nutes or just water? I can tell you now, by the time they reach the top the tomatoes probably won't be ripe so plan ahead to keep stringing them.

I'm not ragging on you, just telling you from experience. I'm sure you researched this method and found a few videos about using the roller hooks. You should start training them now to lean in the direction you'll use to lay them down.

One more question. Only 5 plants?
Old May 22, 2018   #5
hazeldazel
Tomatovillian™

I'm planning to just keep lowering them as they reach the top, the trellis leans very slightly forward to make it easier. The potting mix was had a little steer manure and compost mixed in for nitrogen, now that they're starting to flower, I'm adding some masterblend 4-18-38 once a week.

Only 5 plants! There's only so many tomatoes the two of us can eat! Mostly, it's because the grow bags came in packs of 5. I think next year I'll get the 10 gallon grow bags so I wouldn't be surprised if I somehow managed to convince myself to grow 10 plants in 2019.
Old May 22, 2018   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Hazeldazel... that San Marzano is going to be a bush tomato. it won't grow tall enough to string it. it will really need a cage and no pruning but they all look great.
Old May 22, 2018   #7
hazeldazel
Tomatovillian™

Huh according to my info it is an indeterminate type. I’ve been trimming the suckers and it seems to be growing normally
Old May 22, 2018   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

It may still be an indeterminate but it doesn't grow terribly tall. it is a great caging/Fla weave/stake tomato.