Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 4, 2018   #1
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default SunGold, SunPeach, SunChocola and Esterina

This is the first year that I've grown SunPeach and SunChocola and I love them both.

I've grown SunGold for years now and this is my 2nd year growing Esterina.

SunPeach and Esterina are both very early in my garden. SunChocola was the latest but my seeds were started in mid-late October (same with SunGold).

I just wanted to post pictures so you can see the size differences among these cherry tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Esterina-SG-SC-SP sizes.jpg (263.5 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg SG-SP-SC-Esterina Plate.jpg (315.4 KB, 411 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the pictures, I really like seeing cherries compared side by side. I've never tried SunPeach and SunChocola, can you describe the flavor notes that make them so different? I still love SunGold above all others. Esterina was very sweet, but like SunSugar, for me, they just had more bland one note sweetness instead of the citrus acid burst that I can taste in SunGold. I guess what I am hoping is that some other cherries in that line might be able to match the acid intensity with some different flavor notes.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #3
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

SunGold is the only one with a unique flavor.

I do not think SunPeach or SunChocola has a unique flavor; it's just A LOT better than the other Pink/Red and Brown tomatoes. Production is out of this world.

If I'm eating a big red tomato and then pop in a SunPeach, the flavor is much more intense. It is very noticable. Same with other red cherries. Last year I grew Lizzano and thought it was really good; this year they are spitters; either it is the colder weather or I'm spoiled with SunPeach

Started growing Sakura some time in December and they have already set fruit.

Esterina is not bland at all grown here in Florida. Maybe it's a climate thing.
Old February 4, 2018   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

That picture is beautiful and it's great to have reports of these grown side-by-side. I too prefer Sungold over Sunsugar (hard to describe the the difference but in blind taste tests I could distinguish them). I've always been interested in SunPeach and SunChocola so your reports are helpful!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

I also appreciate your posting these photos, Barb, and am an avid Sungold fan (Sunsugar, not). SunPeach was very good in my garden, too, but I didn't bring it back because...Sungold. I've been tempted to try SunChocola b'cause of reviews here, but it's larger than I like, so I haven't yet; Esterina made my lineup for 2018 because I caved and bought lots of seeds I probably shouldn't have.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Esterina is not bland at all grown here in Florida. Maybe it's a climate thing.
I didn't mean to leave the impression that Esterina was bland, it is very sweet and I'm sure many people will love it. It just had a simple sweetness that is not what I was looking for, since I like my tomatoes to be acidic also.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #7
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the pictures Barb. I'll try Sunpeach this summer, and I'm 100% aligned with your thoughts on the other 3. Similar to your experience with Esterina F1 in FL, it had both flavour & sweetness when I tried it here. I'm keen to try Sungreen too, so if any folks want to do a group purchase then I'm in.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb gave me a few SunChocola seeds, and I am absolutely in love with it's taste, plus it is crazy productive. Great texture too. Barb, thank you so much.
I too find Esterina very sweet, but not enough acid balance. Still, I like it more than not, and I get tired of picking so many. Lol.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoberry is a solid big 'cherry' choice. It is basically a grape however, in the way of texture/meatiness/etc, including the new distinct 'grape taste' that all new hybrid grapes have. A lot less sweet then others and with a strong taste, which is why I like it. Can be very productive in the right conditions (aka no pests, very sensitive to them).

I wanted to try Sunpeach since a while but the few places that have it have an insane price.

Last edited by zipcode; February 5, 2018 at 03:47 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Barb. I would not have thought sunchocola would have been so much larger.
Old February 5, 2018   #11
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I think that SunChocola is REALLY tasty

Thanks Marsha!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #12
Old School
Tomatovillian™

As I sit here in central Pennsylvania and look out my window at all the fresh snow, I must say that those tomatoes sure look delicious Thanks for the pictures. It keeps me thinking of Spring despite what that darn groundhog says
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018   #13
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting those comparison pics Barb! So helpful to really see them all I had never even heard of Sun Chocola or Sun Peach! I adore cherries so will put them on my long "to acquire and try' wish list. How does Sun Chocola compare to Black Cherry flavor and size wise?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Nice pics, Barb. I have grown them all and agree with everything you said.

Esterina, like every other yellow cherry I have ever tried, is very dependent upon the correct amount of rainfall in my garden. Too much rain, and all the yellow cherries have a watered-down flavor.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #15
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default UPDATE - Adding Sakura to the mix

Our Florida season is in full swing. Day temps are generally in the 70s and nights in the 60s. A tomato dream. I have tons of wind where I live so the plants/leaves generally take a beating.

At the time I took the prior picture, I had been growing Sakura but nothing was ripe.
So here is how Sakura measures up in size:

Also, Sakura is beyond productive. I have not found it a SMALL plant at all. It's got the bushiness of a smaller plant, it's just big and bushy.

As you can see they are larger than SunPeach. Sakura is in the back whereas SP is in the front. Taste is not as sweet as SP, definitely more tomato-ey. Flavor is more like a great big tomato.

Will grow all of these again, and again. In the fall, I'm going to grow other Tokita cherry tomatoes also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun Series and Sakaru.jpg (234.3 KB, 217 views)