Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 28, 2018   #16
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post

Also, Sakura is beyond productive. I have not found it a SMALL plant at all. It's got the bushiness of a smaller plant, it's just big and bushy.

As you can see they are larger than SunPeach. Sakura is in the back whereas SP is in the front. Taste is not as sweet as SP, definitely more tomato-ey. Flavor is more like a great big tomato.
I was going to ask how Sakura grows.....is this a cage tomato or can I trellis it? mine are just popping through the media.
Old March 28, 2018   #17
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I was going to ask how Sakura grows.....is this a cage tomato or can I trellis it? mine are just popping through the media.
My one plant is in an Earthbox in a square cage which it outgrew awhile back. Plant was too large to add extenders so I added height with bamboo poles. Lately, I am trying to go lateral with the growth on a lot of my plants. So far so good; they seem to get much less beat up by the wind.

I got my seeds from Johnny's and on their description it says it is a 'very tidy, compact plant fits well in tight spaces'. Not the case here.

If it grows like mine, it is definitely trellis material. I will try to get a picture tomorrow of the plant.

I have a 2nd plant that I started late January (we had a really cold January and started some just in case they all died). This one is in a root pouch and although smaller, due to being younger, does not look like it will compact either.

BTW - A compact plant that I have grown is Lizzano. The other compacts were Maglia Rose, and a lot of dwarfs.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I am growing it in the high tunnel. but it sounds like a tall cage rather than stringing it from your description. I got mine from Johnny's too.
Old March 28, 2018   #19
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,

Great picture - thank you for posting it. Only 10 more days until my seeds go in for the season.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #20
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Beautiful pics

Those are some gorgeous tomatoes. I bought plants this year instead of growing from seed, and got Chocolate Cherry and Black Cherry.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast, zone 9
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #21
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I am growing it in the high tunnel. but it sounds like a tall cage rather than stringing it from your description. I got mine from Johnny's too.
Sakura goes very well with one stem pruning. It is a very vigurous and rather tall plant, but makes very long clusters of big cherries (think black cherry and bigger) if pruned. Very productive if we compare no normal sized cherries.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #22
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Thank you zipcode. I appreciate your information, too. maybe I will put oner in a cage and string a couple, too.
Old August 5, 2020   #23
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

anyone tried growing out saved seed from Sunchocola F1 ......