Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 31, 2018   #46
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Yes, everything is grown all together. I've never seen powdery mildew at the gardens down here, but now that you mention it, I'll keep an eye out for it. I have seen it in my back yard, but it left my tomatoes alone last year.
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #47
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Doing such a beautiful job so far. My seeds are so happy to have you for a mom.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2018   #48
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Lol, I don't know about that. Some of my plants under lights are being weird. Just losing older leaves. The tray on the shelf below is unaffected. I decided to pot them up into solo cups, as that always made them happy last year. As I was potting them up, I was realizing that the bottoms of the cups, where most of the roots were, were warm. I had moved the tray and it was now directly on the shelf. The shelf below them had the lights attached to it for the plants below, so the shelf was warm. So hopefully, that's all it is. I raised them off the shelf again.

The ones in the "greenhouse" bins are doing pretty well with that, so I can always put the older plants outside of they get too tall for the shelf. They bins come in at night. It's been around 60 degrees during the day and 40 at night.

I got my bean and cucumber trellis up. . It'll look like a garden in no time.

Possibly only a couple more weeks. I'll reassess when I get there and see the 15 day forecast, but I've been able to plant in mid April for the last several years.
Old April 6, 2018   #49
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Last year, I was able to plant out on April 16th, but I don't think that's going to happen this year.

The plants I potted up into solo cups were below the lights yesterday and touching them today. So they are light-less until I get home from work at noon, and can put them outside.
Old April 8, 2018   #50
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Radishes are coming up. We had some heavy rains in the past few days so some of the sprouted radish seeds were on top of the dirt, so I spent some time yesterday poking them back under the dirt.
Old April 15, 2018   #51
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I thought I posted a picture with the radish post. Oh well, looks like a radish seedling

Radishes, sugar snap peas, and the lettuce mix are coming up in my community garden. If the forecast stays the same, it looks like I'll be able to plant out next monday (the 23rd). I'll probably plant beans and squash at the same time, but wait a couple more weeks for cucumbers and peppers, depending on the forecast.

Most of my tomato plants have been outside for a while. If it looks like it might freeze, I'll bring in the important ones, but down to about 40, I've been just covering them with a board, a plastic sheet and a blanket. The board is only there in case my cat tries to lay on the blanket . During the day, they're protected from the wind, but not the sun. It's been mostly cloudy with some sunny times/days, so they're getting used to it gradually. They've been doing pretty well like this (Cherokee Green, Berkeley Tie Dye, Pineapple, and GGWT are huge healthy plants) but a few have come in to live in the windowsill because the plants seem a little weaker. Those ones might go out a little later.
Old April 18, 2018   #52
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Not the best photo, but here is everyone. There are still about 5 on the windowsill looking crappy. They all got this...weirdness, where their older leaves were dying. I think I got a batch of miracle gro potting mix with too much fertilizer or something. They've all recovered, but rebel alliance. One plant died, the other is barely hanging on. I might just plant it and see if it recovers. I have 4 seeds left, I may try and direct sow them at the community garden. I've been looking forward to that one.
Old April 22, 2018   #53
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Started planting. I planted one tiny Barry's Crazy Cherry yesterday, because I just wanted to plant something, and I have backups. Last night was the last sorta cold night in the forecast, after today, nights aren't going below 50, and highs are between 70 and 85. Perfect. So I planned 2 more today, Indigo Cherry Drops and Lucky Tiger. These are at the community garden. Tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll plant Pink Tiger and Blush down there. The rest are going in my back yard garden. But that has to wait a couple days until we re-fence the
free range backyard bunny.

Barry's Crazy Cherry

Indigo Cherry Drops

Lucky Tiger
Old April 25, 2018   #54
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Planted! Everything is planted except for the romas, cause I'm not quite sure where they are going . I was still thinking I'd get a second community garden plot when I got them, now, there's no room. I'll find room. 16 plants in the back yard, 5 at the Comminity Garden (6 if I can get a Rebel Alliance to sprout).

Funny community garden story. 2016, I planted April 19th, and people said "Isn't it too early?" (ok, we're in a rural area in Central WA state, we get our news from Spokane which is pretty consistently 10 degrees cooler than we are, so the newscasters/garden experts say to plant around mother's day, so it's ingrained around here to plant around then. I've been planting mid April for 10 years, it works), I said nope, they didn't believe me. I had big plants with tomatoes before the others were in the ground. 2017, planted April 16. "isn't it too early? "nope". 2018, I planted April 21/22, everyone else planted April 23rd. One person planted 4 celebrity tomato plants right in one spot, no more than 2 inches apart, in a square. I don't know what they're doing, maybe they have a plan.
Old April 25, 2018   #55
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I bet they have neither plan nor clue.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018   #56
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Trying to post pics, my image hosting website isn't working, apparently, neither is this one. Not trying to post blank messages, bear with me

Ok, Flickr to the rescue, photo post coming up

Last edited by bad.kelpie; April 26, 2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old April 26, 2018   #57
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Weird lighting, hard to see, but the backyard teepees. A couple months and they'll look awesome!

One teepee

Cherokee Green, my star. It grew fast and hearty, Berkeley Tie Dye was a close second in size.

It has a flower about to open already

GGWT

KBX
Old April 26, 2018   #58
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I made this garden bed last year by putting cardboard on top of snow, that was on top of very long grass, and covering it with alfalfa hay and letting the rabbits eat the hay and poop in the garden:

(Bunny is Basil, he's a free range backyard bunny)

In the spring, I refreshed the hay and fenced the garden. When it came time to plant, I dug into the cardboard and there were so many worms. I planted far too densely, and let most of them sprawl. I found out that we have far too many ear wigs for that. Still got a decent crop. After the season, I pulled the plants and then just left the garden. A couple weeds came through, so I threw a bunch of grass and brush clippings from the yard and alley. I'll refresh it when I mow the back yard. This year, when I dug down, I was pleased to find out that my dirt was almost entirely worm poop, and there were still tons of worms. Hoping for a good year again.
Old April 26, 2018   #59
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

That's brilliant, CK! Getting the microherds working for you, and the bunny, too!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018   #60
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

He's happy to help