Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 27, 2018   #61
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Holy cow, I put a post on the local buy, sell, trade page on Facebook for the plants I grew to sell, and got tons of responses, but everyone wanted to come today, (I posted yesterday). So I told everyone I'd put them out at 1 pm today until they were gone or it was dark out. So I don't know if I'm gonna be swamped with people at 1 or they'll just trickle in, but I got enough responses to sell twice as many tomato plants as I have.

Last edited by bad.kelpie; April 27, 2018 at 12:39 PM.
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2018   #62
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Who wants tomatoes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180426_185045.jpg (593.3 KB, 132 views)
Old April 27, 2018   #63
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

And just like that, 68 plants, sold out in 2.5 hours. Could have sold many more Romas and pineapple and reverend Michael Keyes. Lucky tiger was the last to go.

Next year, I'll grow more
Old April 27, 2018   #64
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Great job, BK!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2018   #65
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Fast! People know these are hard to find. So happy for you.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018   #66
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

All we have in town is walmart, so it's easy to compete. People were very excited for these tomatoes. One person came with a list her husband made. He was a retired farmer and couldn't grow lots of crops anymore, but he could garden. As soon as he saw my post, he was online researching the varieties I had listed. I sold them for $2 each, and buy 5, get one free, so most people came with $20 bills and got 12 at a time. Next year, I'll grow tons more. It worked really well to grow them outside in the bins. I took them in on freezing nights, and left them out cracked open all day as long as it was over 45 degrees. Eventually leaving the tops off and leaving them out overnight. No lights to mess with. I might do all my tomatoes that way next year.
Old April 28, 2018   #67
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

What does Walmart charge for theirs?
Old April 28, 2018   #68
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Your teepees look great! Is that garlic too on the outsides at the community garden?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018   #69
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Walmart sells the Bonnie plants for $2.94, and they mostly have your basic hybrids, better boy, early girl, celebrity, etc.
Old April 28, 2018   #70
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea if the teepees will work for tomatoes, but it can't hurt to try. Those are onions around the perimeter, I planted them around the whole bed last year, and didn't pull them all, so those are the ones from last year.
Old April 28, 2018   #71
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.kelpie View Post
Walmart sells the Bonnie plants for $2.94, and they mostly have your basic hybrids, better boy, early girl, celebrity, etc.
You should go to 2.50 each, price break at 10. They don't have your choices, and yours don't have growth inhibitors on them to keep them small on the shelf. So yours will grow when they get them home, the Wal mart ones won't do as well. Just a suggestion, of course.
Here we sell for $3 each or 10 for $25, no freebies. HD sells for $3.89 each for the basic stuff.
Old April 28, 2018   #72
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know they'd sell so well, I was afraid of overcharging and trying to stuff 68 more plants in my back yard. It was crazy. I had a little panic because suddenly, I had no backup in case of plant failures. But then I remembered I have a 6 pack with 2 pineapple, 2 GGWT, and 2 Lucky tigers (actually, just 1 LT, I planted the other where the green tiger that didn't grow was supposed to go), so I'm good .
Old May 3, 2018   #73
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

My rabbit got out of his pen and ate my cherokee purple plant. No biggie to me, I only grow them because everyone else loves them. I replaced it with pineapple, I'd rather eat those anyway. Thinking I should fence the garden in again, or just a loop of chicken wire around each teepee, because there are some plants that I would be much more devastated to lose.
Old May 9, 2018   #74
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

These came up where I planted the last 4 rebel alliance seeds I had. There was another one, but I weeded it, oops. They could still be something else, because I always have volunteer tomato plants. I'm going to leave one and pot up the other 2, and see what I get.

I found squash seeds growing in the tomato garden at the house. Really hoping they are delicata, and not zucchini. They were where my rabbit house was this winter, and I remember giving him a couple delicata squash, that he didn't eat, so they just stayed there all winter. But I also gave him a huge zucchini, and possibly some various winter squash. He likes them usually, but apparently not delicata.
Old May 14, 2018   #75
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Today's garden harvest