Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 9, 2018   #16
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
That one pic looked like Broccoli. The 8th pic down.

Nan

I hope so but it really looks just like the Bok Choy unless I doubled up on the broccoli lol.
I planted another flat of the broccoli to confirm.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018   #17
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

March 6th - March 8th

I don't know how the hell I could have done this but after up potting the Waltham Broccoli I thought they looked like cabbage. A few days later and I'm almost 100% sure it is Bok Choy. I somehow planted two flats of Bok Choy, so I went back and counted the seeds in the packet and the numbers are consistent with me planting both the Bok Choy and the Waltham broccoli. Although it's too late to start broccoli, I planted 6 more cells of the Broccoli to see if I screwed up, or the seeds are mis-labeled. I'm either gonna be Peeved at Seeds Now or peeved at myself, so either way I'm gonna be peeved!

• Jimmy Nardello. These guys just appeared. One minute they weren't there, the next minute they're an inch tall. Well that's the way it seems anyway.

• Corno Di Toro Giallo (Yellow)

• Corno Di Toro Rosso (Red)

• Basil germinated

• Potted up the Maypop to a one gallon container, This thing is growing like it's on steroids!

• Waltham Broccoli, or is it lol.

• Listada De Gangia eggplant.

I have been getting a bit frustrated with this years seeds, nothing sprouted from the, Acongua pepper, Red Marconi, Tabasco, California Wonder or the Poblano, 3/10 will have been two weeks. I'm not too concerned if the Acongua or Red Marconi do not germinate. My concerns are the California Wonder and Poblano, I love these two peppers, these were planted from saved seeds. I'm doing a germination test using saved seeds for the Poblano and saved seeds and packet seeds for the California wonders 3/8/18.

The Black Beauty and Fengyuan Eggplan will be one week 3/8. Black Beauty was planted from saved seeds and the Fengyuan from Packet seeds. I'm not too concerned with the Fengyuan but I'm doing a germination test using saved seeds and packet seeds on the Black Beauty 3/8/18.

Nothing from my saved Licorice Basil either.

Little disappointed in my Leeks also, the leeks had maybe 3 sprouts in each pot so out of frustration I ended up dumping the whole packet in the 4" pots.

I lost 6 of my Bok Choy in the small starter trays, they should have been uppotted, these plants suck up a bit more water and the cells are just too small to hold enough soil and water for them.

March 9th - March 11th

I broadcast seeded some Poblano and California Wonders in 4" pots. 3/9

• Saturday I saw a few sprouts from the Black Beauty

• Sunday morning I decided to check my seeds for germination

• I had one Black Beauty from my saved seeds germinate.

• The Maypops and this one Artichoke are growing nicely.

March 11th

• I left the Bok Choy in the tray and some are coming back.

Checked my Germination tests and had a Cal Wonder from my harvested seeds germinate, an eggplant from my packet seeds and still nothing from my poblanos. I also had one of the Fengyuan eggplant seeds germinate that was planted on 3/3 but it doesn't look good
Old March 21, 2018   #18
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

March 12th - March 15th

I had a Tabasco pop the other day, Yippee!

I dumped all of my Black Beauty Seeds and California Wonder seeds that were in the germination towels into 4" pots, we will see
Nothing from my Poblanos yet

Stopped at Home depot and picked up some potting mix that luckily increased in price a few dollars since my earlier purchase, yippee again I also decided at the last minute to plant some cantaloupe in place of the watermelon this year, dammit, stay out of the seed aisle at HD, Well I am going to stop after work today and grab some poblano seeds.

• Plants are doing well, even some of the Bok Choy came back from the brink of death.

• I'll probably plant the Bok Choy two weeks later next year.

• Back up under the lights for now, I really need to get these planted. These guys are really drinking up the water, I have to water every day and they are usually thirsty.

March 16th - March 18th

• Installed my remesh for the Spaghetti Squash and Yard long beans, but first I needed to paint the fence where the remesh will be mounted.

Started my tomatoes Saturday, I am trying something different this year with my tomato seedlings, cells are filled with potting mix, mix is moistened, seeds are laid on top of the potting mix, seeds are covered with vermiculite and moistened with a spray bottle.Water is added to the tray.

I did pretty good not overplanting the tomatoes this year.

• 3/17 Tomato, Brandywine Red [HEIRLOOM]
  • 3/17 Tomato, Cherokee Purple [HEIRLOOM]
  • 3/17 Tomato, True Black Brandywine [HEIRLOOM]
  • 3/17 Tomato, Rutgers [HEIRLOOM]
  • 3/17 Tomato, Box Car Willie [HEIRLOOM]
  • 3/17 Tomato, Matts Wild Cherry [HEIRLOOM]
  • 3/17 Tomato, Sprite [HEIRLOOM]
  • 3/17 Tomato, Gardeners delight [HEIRLOOM]
  • 3/17 Night Shade, Cape Gooseberry [HEIRLOOM]
  • 3/17 Cucurbit, Zucchini [Hybrid]

• Cantaloupe popped after 3 days

• Up potted my Peppers and Eggplants

Old March 21, 2018   #19
mannalon
Tomatovillian™

The bok choy looks ready to be harvested
mannalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018   #20
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannalon View Post
The bok choy looks ready to be harvested
Its getting there, only has a few leaves as of now.
Old March 22, 2018   #21
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

March 19th - March 22nd

• Note to self, start Bok Choy and Artichokes later next year!!!

• Had a few tomatoes pop, Gardeners Delight and Rutgers, the Zucchini also sprouted.

• Enjoying the apocalyptic ride home.
https://youtu.be/_IVwUcFJSeA

• This is what it looked like when I got home Wednesday

• The poor pond has seen better days.

• Good morning, I guess my Bok Choy and Broccoli are dead!
Old March 24, 2018   #22
mannalon
Tomatovillian™

The weather sucks! I dont know about the brocolli but you can start bok choy again. They grow really fast!
mannalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #23
bower
Tomatovillian™

You might be surprised, bok choy and broccoli might be fine under the snow... I hope so!

Bok choy is the easiest thing to bolt when you don't want it to. Mine indoors were super thirsty too, and I could see the pots were just full of roots... then they bolted. But they were still good, I ate the whole thing as soon as I caught them bolting and the stems were still tender top to bottom.

Yu Choy Sum I'm really liking growing in pots! They like to be crowded, and when they bolt it means they're ready to eat . I stuck the 'eaten' pots out in the greenhouse and they are coming again for a second round... can't knock that. I have yet to see whether the Bok will regrow, as i saw on you tube.. it is possible.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #24
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
You might be surprised, bok choy and broccoli might be fine under the snow... I hope so!

Bok choy is the easiest thing to bolt when you don't want it to. Mine indoors were super thirsty too, and I could see the pots were just full of roots... then they bolted. But they were still good, I ate the whole thing as soon as I caught them bolting and the stems were still tender top to bottom.

Yu Choy Sum I'm really liking growing in pots! They like to be crowded, and when they bolt it means they're ready to eat . I stuck the 'eaten' pots out in the greenhouse and they are coming again for a second round... can't knock that. I have yet to see whether the Bok will regrow, as i saw on you tube.. it is possible.
You are correct, the Bok Choy did survive,.
Old March 27, 2018   #25
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

March 23rd - March 26th
  • The Artichokes, Maypops and Bok Choy really need to go outside.

• Started my Kiwi Trellis

• My Hardy Kiwi's came in

• Redone of my planters using Charged-Coarse Bio-Char, Compost, Rabbit manure/bedding, Coffee Grounds, Wood, and a bit of clay soil. The wood sat in rain water and 10-10-10 for a few months.

• Cleaned up the front yards and saw a bit of color, about time!!

• All my tomato seeds hatched. Up Potted some tomatoes and peppers. Everything is potted up now. I could have waited another week to up pot some of the smaller guys that didn't have true leaves yet, but I was getting impatient.

• Got the back pond started.

• The Bok Choy is coming back.

• Another week of rain!!!

Old April 4, 2018   #26
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

• Planted the remainder of my Spinach and Sugar Snap and Snow Pea seeds to use them up, I wont grow spinach anymore after this, instead of the spinach I'm going to try Perpetual Spinach

• The 10 day doesn't look too bad so I took out the Artichokes, Maypops, Bok Choy, and Cabbages to harden off. And now I have to watch the dogs like a hawk, of course they think this is a salad buffet, I mean Really! What kind of dog likes salad? Stupid dogs!!!

March 27th - April 4th

Well it's confirmed, Seedsnow made the mistake not me, now I have a ton of Bok Choy.

I Sent them this letter;

I wanted to drop you a line and emphasize my disappointment in your company.
In January I ordered Bok Choy, Waltham Broccoli, Red Acre Cabbage and Gardeners Delight tomato seeds.
Germination was great, however, the Broccoli I planted was not Broccoli it was Bok Choy, thinking I somehow messed up, I planted another flat of Broccoli, guess what ? More Bok Choy, I am very disappointed that I lost a year of Broccoli. I will no longer purchase from your company.

Sincerely yours
Disappointed customer

I ordered some supplies from Drip Depot to tweak my irrigation system.
  • This weekend was fairly productive. I got the Koi pond started and started repairs to the Faux Brick.

• The back pond is finally clearing up a bit.

• My daughter was home from college and I asked for her help, she finished painting the fence and front hugelkultur bed on the Koi Pond Patio, way to go Sam.

• Planted the rest of the Bok Choy and giving my Artichokes a bit of sun.

• Removing the pavers to add a drip line to the new planter on the side patio.

• I'm also a bit surprised my Hyacinths are still alive, they usually flop over after a few days.

• Testing Germination rate on my Oats, I'll be planting oats in half of my yard, I'll explain that later in this blog.

• I'm having troubles with my Hardy Kiwi Collection from Bakers Creek, they sent out a replacement that I am watching like a hawk.

• Also had one of my Yacon plants from Bakers Creek die (rear pot).

• Sorting my plants for better light exposure. The dam Black Beauty Eggplant Plants exploded, and I was worried about them? lol.

I also noticed some of the soil almost completely dry on a few of the plants, I was a bit confused, because I have been on top of the watering. After closer inspection it turns out that I did not finish last years task of putting holes in the bottoms of the cups, this could have been disastrous if not caught before this weekend because I asked the wife to bottom water the plants while I was away. I am leaving Thursday morning and won't be back until Sunday afternoon.

This weekend will be a wash, I'll be canoeing Camping on the Delaware River.

Old April 6, 2018   #27
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

This guy gardens.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #28
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamuMahubah View Post
This guy gardens.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2018   #29
Runescape
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamuMahubah View Post
This guy gardens.
Lol.

Awesome photos SQWIBB, looks like you're off to a great start.
Runescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018   #30
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys.