Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 16, 2018   #1
countyhoosier
Tomatovillian™

Default Sunchocola

Started a few sunchocola seeds a couple weeks ago. Planning on a good year. Last year was a failure. I tried container gardening last year and couldn't keep up. Going back to what i know. Back in the ground they will be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9911.jpg (237.3 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9913.jpg (283.1 KB, 223 views)
countyhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It is a good variety. Yield is tremendous. Watch for stink bugs, mine seemed to prefer it.

Here's a pic from a few years ago when I grew all the 'Sun' cherries. Chocola was my favorite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0626151505-002222222222.jpg (281.5 KB, 196 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Yum! I liked it too

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Who's the best seed source for the whole series?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #5
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Who's the best seed source for the whole series?
Seeds&Such & Osborne have most of the Tokita varieties. Seeds&Such has smaller seed packs for a less costly trial, and Osborne has a wider selection. Both companies have fair shipping costs to folks in the USA. The only one I don't see in either place is SunGrape. Tokita also produces Tomatoberry Garden F1, another excellent variety.

I have grown SunGold F1, SunChocola F1 & Tomatoberry Garden F1 so far, and imho these are excellent in both taste & production (Zone 3a). I gave away my extra SunChocola plants last year and those folks advised me they were the best dark tomatoes they had tasted. I am impressed with the Tokitas so this season I'll add Suncherry Extra Sweet F1 FT, Suncherry RB F1 FT, SunGreen F1, SunLemon F1, SunOrange F1 & SunPeach F1 to my grown list. I have heard really good things about SunPeach. SunOrange F1 (Osborne) seems to be new, or may simply be renamed GoldenCherry F1.

https://www.tokitasementi.it/wp-cont...ato-cherry.pdf

Last edited by RJGlew; March 19, 2018 at 02:04 AM. Reason: More info
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
It is a good variety. Yield is tremendous. Watch for stink bugs, mine seemed to prefer it.

Here's a pic from a few years ago when I grew all the 'Sun' cherries. Chocola was my favorite.
Really nice photo!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.

Sunpeach has great yield but was unimpressive to me at first in regard to flavor....but then I found myself reaching for them to snack on ahead of a lot of other varieties. It has a mild, pleasant flavor. Like a Lay's potato chip, it is hard to eat just one.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Seeds&Such & Osborne have most of the Tokita varieties. Seeds&Such has smaller seed packs for a less costly trial, and Osborne has a wider selection. Both companies have fair shipping costs to folks in the USA. The only one I don't see in either place is SunGrape. Tokita also produces Tomatoberry Garden F1, another excellent variety.

I have grown SunGold F1, SunChocola F1 & Tomatoberry Garden F1 so far, and imho these are excellent in both taste & production (Zone 3a). I gave away my extra SunChocola plants last year and those folks advised me they were the best dark tomatoes they had tasted. I am impressed with the Tokitas so this season I'll add Suncherry Extra Sweet F1 FT, Suncherry RB F1 FT, SunGreen F1, SunLemon F1, SunOrange F1 & SunPeach F1 to my grown list. I have heard really good things about SunPeach. SunOrange F1 (Osborne) seems to be new, or may simply be renamed GoldenCherry F1.

https://www.tokitasementi.it/wp-cont...ato-cherry.pdf
Thank you, much appreciated.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018   #9
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Thank you, much appreciated.
Barb did most of the work.
Old April 1, 2018   #10
countyhoosier
Tomatovillian™

IMG_9923.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

Some good progress so far. Here in St Louis it has been raining for two weeks and snowed/sleeted/thunderstormed today. No dry spell in sight. Need some sunlight to get the little one into the garden.

Last edited by countyhoosier; April 1, 2018 at 09:21 PM.
countyhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
SunOrange F1 (Osborne) seems to be new, or may simply be renamed GoldenCherry F1.
Looking at the japanese page of Tokita Sunorange and Golden Cherry seem to be different.
I have grown Golden Cherry and it really is probably a different selection of sungold. Same taste profile but lacking the acidity and the plants have very short internodes and like to make suckers at an insane rate, so it's more for people who want to make a hedge.
Tomatoberry can have fantastic production of beautiful dark red shiny fruit if you manage to keep insects away from it. It's a magnet for all things crawling.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #12
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

On March 2, I started 1 seed of Sun Orange and 1 seed of Sun Green. This is extremely late for Florida, but I had to satisfy my curiosity with Sun Orange vs the Sun Gold. The Sun Orange does have that Sun Gold scent but possibly not as strong. However, I really don't remember ever sniffing my SunGold seedlings.

They are 1 month old today and they are going in their final destination early this week. I just need to decide which 2 plants in an Earthbox get the boot.

I will post pictures of the plants later.

The North America vendor selling GoldenCherry had horrible reviews at Dave's Garden, so I didn't bother to try that one. Plus they were selling the seeds really cheap if they truly were the Tokita brand.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #13
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Looking at the japanese page of Tokita Sunorange and Golden Cherry seem to be different.
I have grown Golden Cherry and it really is probably a different selection of sungold. Same taste profile but lacking the acidity and the plants have very short internodes and like to make suckers at an insane rate, so it's more for people who want to make a hedge.
Tomatoberry can have fantastic production of beautiful dark red shiny fruit if you manage to keep insects away from it. It's a magnet for all things crawling.
Thank you for sharing your experience with GoldenCherry. Agreed on Tomatoberry, I have found it to be a very nice variety. Not sure that many of the insect pests you worry about can survive here. :-)
Old April 2, 2018   #14
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I will post pictures of the plants later.

The North America vendor selling GoldenCherry had horrible reviews at Dave's Garden, so I didn't bother to try that one. Plus they were selling the seeds really cheap if they truly were the Tokita brand.
I am looking forward to the pictures of SunOrange F1 & SunGreen F1. Do you recall the name of the NA vendor for GoldenCherry F1?

Thanks,
Old April 2, 2018   #15
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am looking forward to the pictures of SunOrange F1 & SunGreen F1. Do you recall the name of the NA vendor for GoldenCherry F1?

Thanks,
It was Vesey's in Canada. I'm not sure it's even a Tokita variety b/c there is a space between Golden and Cherry.

I posted the pics in a new thread so can follow their progress.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote