Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 31, 2019   #31
davidj
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying quite a lot of new tomatoes this year, but here are my favorites so far:

- Thorburn's Terra Cotta: unique colors, very good taste, semi-determinate, productive and quite early.

- Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye: another very good tomato, mid-early and productive

- Denyushka F1: mid-season bicolor heart-shaped tomato. Very meaty and fruitful tomato. I'm keeping seeds to see what will happen with F2 ! If I remember correctly, heart-shaped and bicolor are both recessive, so I should still get bicolor heart-shaped tomatoes with F2.

- Dusha Sibiri F1: early-mid season pink heart shaped meaty tomato with very good taste ! One of my most productive plant so far.

- Barry's Crazy: loaded with very sweet yellow cherry tomatoes !

David
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2019   #32
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

Humph - possibly my favorite flavor behind lucid gem

Fantome du Laos - actually didn't care for it but I'm overruled by the family

Quote:
- Barry's Crazy: loaded with very sweet yellow cherry tomatoes !
I'm curious what your conditions and fert regimen looked like? Those ended up bland for me, although the production was remarkable.
throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2019   #33
davidj
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway View Post
I'm curious what your conditions and fert regimen looked like? Those ended up bland for me, although the production was remarkable.
I'm in Canada hardiness zone 3b-4a, last spring frost occurs at the end of may or beginning of June, first fall frost occurs mid-late september, but nights are regularly below 10 oC from August.

For fertilization, I just put a quite small handull of chicken manure pellets after transplantion and I mulch with fresh-scythed grass / hay.

I do not irrigate (except at transplantation time) or spray anything.

We had a dry summer (like 3 of the last 4 summers), so maybe that helped tomatoes to concentrate their sugars ! My barry's crazy tomatoes averaged 10 to 11 g per tomato.

David
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2019   #34
skelly
Tomatovillian™

We loved it for the FLAVOR! This was the first year I've grown Gold Medal and it has probably become our new favorite for flavor......Hopefully you will find the same. Very sweet but unique in other ways too.
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2019   #35
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

First time successfully growing Sungold and I think it's going to be a keeper. Our favorite way to eat them is sliced in half and tossed with a pinch of salt.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2019   #36
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardadore View Post
New so far this year that are keepers: Daniel’s; New Cheef; Dotson’s Lebanese Heart (grown before but bad crop. This year is fantastic.), Sunrise Bumblebee;
Still waiting for McKinley and Margaret Curtain Heart to ripen so I can evaluate.
Some producing well for the first time giving me a good taste chance are Bear Creek, Green Gables, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Girl Girl’s Weird Thing. Hoping to try Karen O’s new Northern Hearts which seem to be this year’s winners for new varieties. Hope I can try these in 2020!
Gardadore- thanks for the feedback! Can you give specific feedback on DLH, as I don't think many have grown this yet and I'm trying to keep track of individual experiences. I grew only one this year, and it got sick very early as well as the two plants adjacent to it
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2019   #37
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Nan,
If you want, you may want to try Blush instead. A very sunny tomato (by looks), it is way more productive, actually aggressive grower with multi-branches and load with fruit clusters, with great taste. I mistook the seedlings as Mountain Magic, as they were that robust.
I still like Maglia Rosa as a low-front row grower, great in a mixed fruit basket.

I would take note of your Dark Galaxy, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
STARS
Dark Galaxy is productive, gorgeous, & tastes fantastic.
Fish Lake Oxheart also tastes great.

GOOD
Butter Apple is a good-tasting, very productive yellow.
Bajaja is a good-tasting cherry on a dwarf plant, very productive, but it is determinate and only produces for a month.
Maglia Rosa tastes good but isn't very productive here, and seems to be a favorite of the stink bugs.

OTHER
Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye tasted weak and acted like a determinate, dying after the first flush of tomatoes.
Velvet Red also was weak-tasting.
Danube is a red & green cherry that was alarmingly crunchy.
New Big Dwarf tasted OK, but also acted determinate, only giving me one flush of tomatoes.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2019   #38
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip, NW!
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019   #39
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Girl Girl's Weird Thing is an excellent tomato, vigorous and tasty and very productive and pretty too. Must grow for me now.

Amana Orange was a little strange. The first 10 tomatoes I picked had no taste. It left you with a acid taste after you finished it. The second round of Amana Orange was different. I got the sweet taste with the fruity taste and all that. I have no idea why the difference. I really enjoyed the taste after the first 10.

Cherokee Chocolate was excellent. Basically the same as Cherokee Purple but the color was more like Paul Robeson. I will have more about Paul Robeson when the 2019 results thread comes out, It was outstanding in taste and production.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote