Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 11, 2019   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default rosella purple

seems like rosella purple is pretty disease resistant, all my other plants got septoria and early blight, (blaming it on the uncontrollable white flies and aphids)but the RP, does'nt show any signs of giving up even being covered by them! lol----tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (205.3 KB, 110 views)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Does White Flies and Aphids cause those diseases?

White Flies cause TYLCV here and I think most gardeners had it at one time or another, but the yellow sticky cards work great. They are put out early in the season before an infestation; I haven't had TYLCV since. I use one per plant.

Your garden was so beautiful. Did you at least have a successful harvest? Is it at the end of your season anyway?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2019   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Many find that potato- and rugose- (most in the dwarf series) leaved plants are more resistant to foliar disease and regular-leaved ones. Their leaf cuticles are thicker. You might want to add a few more of those varieties next year and do the full comparison under your garden conditions.

Nice trellis set-up!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2019   #4
encore
Tomatovillian™

rosella purple-18, 5 still on plant---black krim--38--aunt ginny's purple--32---black from tula-34--caspian pink-31--prudens purple-26--marianna's peace--17, 8 still on plant--japanese oxheart--15, and 1 sun sugar, never kept count! lol----tom so did well, probably would of done really great if we did'nt get that 4 days of 100 degs. causing lots of blossom drop!
encore is offline   Reply With Quote