Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 28, 2019   #1
GardeningGreta
Tomatovillian™

Default Zone 4- orange banana, oroma, saucy, salsa?

Hi, has anyone in zone 4 grown orange banana, oroma, saucy, or salsa tomatoes? They're listed in Victory seeds. If you have, were they very productive? Have you grown them more than once?

Thanks. Just trying to narrow down my seed list for next year.
Kat
GardeningGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2019   #2
GardeningGreta
Tomatovillian™

Also, coyote tomato in zone 4?
I grew Mexico Midget this year and was very impressed with both yield and taste. Thanks again.
Old August 28, 2019   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

I grew Coyote outdoors here in a very cold summer and it did produce some fruit. Not sure how US zone system compares with CAD, but I would say, give it a try. It actually didn't do as well inside the greenhouse where it was warmer but didn't get as much light (too crowded!). I would rate it as decently cold tolerant.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2019   #4
shule1

I'm not in zone 4, quite, but I've grown Oroma a number of times in a number of conditions. It was never prolific for me, however, but I'm in a dry climate with hot and sunny summers, and maybe it needed soil amendments (such as calcium and potassium).

In 2016, I grew a plant in the ground with full sun that was overwatered, in compact soil (no mulch or such). It got a few small fruit. I also grew one in a raised bed that year with moderate watering and shade. It did better than the one in the ground, and got larger more well-formed fruit, and more of them, but not so many as for me to say it was prolific.

In 2017, I grew a plant with very little water in the ground with a little shade from a currant bush. It got a lot of BER, but did better than the one in full sun the previous year, and worse than the one in the raised bed in 2016.

In 2018, I grew it in an area with full sun with black plastic and very little water. It got BER just like in 2017 and did similarly.

I used new saved seeds each subsequent year.

By 2019, I didn't want to grow it. I preferred Sausage on all accounts. I'd rather grow regular Roma, too.

Oroma could probably do decently in Wisconsin as well as in western Oregon, Washington and such areas, but that's just a guess. It's parthenocarpic; so, it's probably designed for cool areas. We get very hot, dry and sunny summers where I live, though. It was bred in western Oregon, I believe, where I believe they have long, but cool, wet, and not-so-sunny seasons.

Coyote should do really nicely in a cold area. The early part of our season is pretty cool, and Coyote grew noticeably faster than anything else, this year (and fruited well then, too). Coyote does have a lot of leaves, though (and it doesn't have an open habit that makes it easy to see the fruit when caged). The fruit is also not ripe when it first looks ripe. It needs to stay on the vine a long time after that in my garden.

I have Orange Banana seeds (never grown it).

Last edited by shule1; August 29, 2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old August 29, 2019   #5
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Orange Banana for years; it's one of our favorites. Zone 4, northern Vermont.
I've grown Coyote, but didn't much like the flavor. If you like sweet, try Russian Mini Yellow. It's like candy, and very prolific.
Old August 29, 2019   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Oroma a few times and have one plant going this year to re-fresh the seed stock. As stated, it doesn't seem to like hot weather. Every year I've grown it, the pattern has been the same:

It'll set a number of fruit clusters (5-6 tomatoes in each) early in the spring which will all ripen around the same time. Then once the really hot weather arrives, the plants start looking pretty pathetic and they don't set any additional fruit. As soon as the cooler temps arrive, it takes off again. After seeing this the first year I grew it, I know not to pull them early!

The tomatoes are very dense and meaty and the plants are fairly compact.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2019   #7
GardeningGreta
Tomatovillian™

Thank you bower, shule1, FarmerShawn, and Father'sDaughter for responding. Now I'm really looking forward to trying coyote and orange banana, and FarmerShawn Russian Mini Yellow also looks good. Maybe for another year. I have 7 cherry tomatoes on my list for 2020 already. Maybe 2021?

Thanks shule1 and Farmer'sDaughter for the details on oroma. I think I'll skip that one for now.

I do love planning the next year's garden while I'm harvesting. Next year I'll be focusing on more paste/salsa types.

Thanks again and happy gardening.