Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 30, 2019   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Let's hear it for new Dwarfs!

I planted a Waratah for the first time in mid-June and just ate the first one. Really good! Not too mild, not too tart, not too much of anything -- just a great balanced taste. Impressive, and earned a spot for next year.

Anyone else found a really good dwarf this season?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2019   #2
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to Scooty for sharing Dwarf Wild Spudleaf. New to me, I find it a productive PL with large (7-10 oz) black tomatoes that are balanced in taste.

Also, Adelaide festival is a nice tasting dwarf; sweet, dark, with a little tang in the juice. My grand daughter suggested that it is called festival because it looks like it has a party going on with all the stripes.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2019   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Didn't plant any dwarfs this season (except a micro dwarf not part of the dwarf project) :-(

I really want to grow some of the newer ones (new to me that is) I have seed for (Ulure Ochre)... and also some of the older ones which I've already tried. (Summertime Gold, yum)
Next year, hopefully.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2019   #4
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Rosella Purple for the first time this year and it deserves all the hype it receives - it is really yummy!

I also am growing its relative, Rosella Crimson, and this one is an excellent example of a pink tomato. I'm surprised this variety doesn't get more praise, but maybe it is because red and pink tomatoes are are common and don't capture people's attention when shopping for seeds. Along with New Big Dwarf, I think Rosella Crimson is my top pink/red dwarf tomato.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2019   #5
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

How are Rosellas Purple and Crimson different from each other in taste?

I had a really delicious sweet Ulu Ochre today, another new to me dwarf.
Old August 31, 2019   #6
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Antho Violettrot Dwarf

Last edited by Moshou; August 31, 2019 at 11:56 PM.
Moshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2019   #7
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
How are Rosellas Purple and Crimson different from each other in taste?

Rosella Crimson is a perfectly balanced tomato (between sweetness and acidity) that shares the typical pink/red tomato flavor profile.

Rosella Purple is a very sweet tomato (the acidity is well-masked due to the copious sweetness) that is easily identifiable as a purple/brown.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2019   #8
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Thank-you KD. I have been growing Rosella Purple for a few years now and do like its sweetness. I like a mix of varieties and try to include some a little more tart and wondered if Rosella Crimson might do that with the Rosella taste.
Old September 1, 2019   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Sleeping Lady is the big winner for me so far. Rich, balanced taste, productive, good size, and one of the first to ripen.

I had my first Golden Gypsy and Arctic Rose last night and they were both sweet and good sized tomato's.

Still waiting on Tastywine to ripen it's first ones, but as I was involved with the final grow-outs prior to its release I know it'll be worth the wait.

Now that there are so many fresh eating to choose from and my still-working dwarf pastes are starting to grow true, next year I'm planning on growing primarily dwarfs.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

@Father'sDaughter-

What dwarf pastes are you growing? I'm curious if they are pastes like the typical determinates (Roma, etc)? Any unique properties?

Last edited by Greatgardens; September 2, 2019 at 06:00 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
@Father'sDaughter-

What dwarf pastes are you growing? I'm curious if they are pastes like the typical determinates (Roma, etc)? Any unique properties?

I'm still working on selections from the Speckly and Worry lines. You can look them up in the Dwarf Project section here at T'ville for the background. Not sure which, if any will make it to a final release.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #12
encore
Tomatovillian™

growing rosella purple this year, great looking plant seems to be only plant not getting septoria and early blight, nice dark green plant, finally cut the tops off, because it's being stubborn at ripening fruit, lol only got 2 so far, lots of green ones still on plant---tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #13
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Dwarf Velvet Night and Lime Green Salad have both been super this year. Early for both and heavy producers. Similar 3-5 oz sizes that look great in a caprese. Lime Green Salad has a nice tang and dwarf velvet night is sweet and a little smoky. They will be back!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2019   #14
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

yo encore, same results here in Indy, very few ripe and cracked at stem on most - maybe i'll do the same with the tops. I grew out like 20+ dwarfs this yr. (some I might have goofed on labels) Summertime Green, Uluru Ochre, Artic Rose, all produced and tasted good. I think of them all perhaps the New Big Dwarf, Brandy Fred are the best producers for the last couple yrs.
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote