Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 13, 2008   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default parsley in container problem

for about 4 years i have grown parsley in 5 gallon pails with holes for drainage. the garden is too hot and they die come july so i found this to be better.

i mix 1/3 each my rich good quality garden soil, my compost and purchased dehydrated cow manure with 1/2 cup lime and 1/4 cup osmocote. i put 3 plants in each pail and they get 2/3 sun 1/3 shade each day. i fertilize with neptune's harvest once a week sometime in watering or just spraying. i have 3 plants per pail and cut it so none of the plants crowd out the others.

here's my problem and i sure wish someone can help me.

my plants go out about early may and do fine. yesterday i see the same issue as happens each year. 1 plant totally wilted, shriveled, dying, basically collasped. i used to think i watered them too much keeping the soil too damp and their roots rotted so i have been careful to not water to much this year but again i see this starting. i suspect i will lose several more will die over the next week or 2. i have new plants growing to replace my losses as i expect this die off.

i dug the dead plant and find no grubs attacking the roots at least none to the naked eye. poor roots tho almost gone. dug a lot but see nothing. some other plants show a branch or two wilting so by today perhaps 4 or 5 more are dying.

what am i doing wrong? i love parsley and eat tons of it but i fear i am about to be wiped out again. i see it grow in full sun in other gardens so much so that it takes over! i am organic by the way.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote