Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 23, 2019   #14
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
That was my initial thought of what is was but looking at the brown areas there is no concentric circles at all. The photos of early and late blight I found show those circles.

Then someone said deficiency and it does look like a couple of deficiency types can look but the strange thing is that I have 5 gardeners delight and 9 sungold.

All 9 sungold were together in a row and all show the symptoms and the GD did not at all. But now the two GD plants that are right next to the Sungold row are showing symptoms the same which points to a spreading habit from one plant to its neighbour.

Its not simple to ID these things at all IMO like some people make out.
It could be to do with the cold, the soil, a fungus, a deficiency, watering.

It has baffled me and the changes I made this year like burying them very deeply, using microrizer, using concentrated chicken manure and taking plants from a neighbour. I will not repeat next year. Will keep it simple next time

Yes, the leaf at the top has interveinal streaking, likely deficiency related. As I mentioned, cold weather or poorly drained or oxygenated soils, pH imbalance, all can affect the uptake of essential nutrients. If you used dolomite lime then you know there is Mg available; if not you can add some. K is the other one that looks similar and which I think is more likely, if it's cold and wet the problem is this affects the uptake. Your chicken manure should have provided plenty.

The main point is that you must remove the bad leaves, because as they go necrotic (presumably from deficiency issue) then the diseases move in to finish it off, and they spread. There are circles on the leaf in your last pic at the bottom, looks classic EB to me.

Growing at high density in a greenhouse, you need to prune regularly not only to improve air flow but also to let the sun warm the ground. If you planted deeply, I agree with BrownRexx this can be an issue and the rooting process will go much faster if the sun is hitting the ground. So remove the lower foliage on your plants up to the first flower cluster. And take away all the afflicted leaves. If you are concerned about defoliating because they are already pruned, I sometimes take just part of a leaf, pinch it back to the point it is healthy and remove the rest later when new leaves are coming on.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote