Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2006   #46
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Old Biddy- this envelope business seems to be a problem generaly, I cant understand why with such a thick book as the yearbook- they dont use more substantial envelopes to mail them in, to ensure its safe delivery,

Mine too was hanging out of the envelope- after traveling crossing the world, with a five inch rip in it.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2006   #47
oldbiddy
Tomatovillian™

Default re:

Well, maybe the postal workers had the time to take a glance at the pages...although I doubt it. What a waste, IMHO.
oldbiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2006   #48
travis
Tomatovillian™

You know, after reading this thread, I have come to the conclusion that if SSE would just take on certain opinionated forum members as parttime, volunteer consultants, the Yearbook and its postal processing would be nothin' short of perfect!

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2006   #49
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sure PV, right, right away.

I guess I qualify since I am known from time to time as, ahem, opinionated.

But I could give you a long list of suggestions that over the years I've shared with SSE, initially Kent but more recently his son Aaron who is running things these days as regards the seed angles, and you'd be so very surprised to see, I'm sure, that none of them have been acted on.

Now before you get your knickers in a twist, :wink: , please remember that there are so darn few folks on staff there and it's taking all they can manage to do what they do now, so I don't get bent out of shape when what I or others might suggest doesn't become reality.

All I know is that I've made the suggestions, and so far they haven't flown.

And no, I'm not going to recreate that list for here.

And no, I haven't said anything about stronger mailers for the Yearbooks, both for domestic and overseas mailings.

And no, until this year I haven't seen any complaints about the SSE mailers, so perhaps they used different ones this year?

I don't know b'c I can't remember from last year or the years before what was used.
Old March 21, 2006   #50
travis
Tomatovillian™

I think the mailer thing is due to the gross lack of care and professionalism shown by baggage and mail handlers at airports over the past few years. The rate of luggage destruction lately is abysmal.

And, no, I wasn't referring to your and others' more constructive criticisms ... I was talkin' about those who apparently expect SSE to be responsible for mail handler mayhem. I just recently got an envelop in the mail that had the shredded back cover of a TGS 2006 catalog folded up with a note from the Post Office saying (not that they were sorry about it, but) that this ripped up shred of catalog was found in their processing machines with my name on its mailing label.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2006   #51
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yea in the past month I've gotten two official looking USPS large envelopes with mauled, ripped and torn catalogs in them.

And just this AM I was reading the bit about all the lost luggage and how only a small fraction of it was due to wrong tagging at the front desk, the rest having to do mainly with goofs in between.
Old March 24, 2006   #52
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Default SSE yearbook envelope

I haven't been here in some time, so I'm a little late on this discussion. Does everyone else receive their yearbook in an envelope? Mine has NEVER come in one, and let me tell you, that means some really mangled ones sometimes!
Linda10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2006   #53
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Lindazn, what then does yours come in !!- surely they dont just stick a stamp on the book and post it,

Personaly I think that the use of the extra strong polythene bags type of postage is as good as any for travel wear.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2006   #54
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Linda, mine has never come in an envelope either. I was assuming that Andrey's and Michael's were in envelopes to keep them from being totally shredded en route overseas.

Michael, no, they didn't stick a stamp on the book, they posted it without one, and also sans envelope. Look at the outside back cover of your Yearbook and see if in the lower right corner there is an outlined box with the words "Bound Printed Matter, Presorted, US Postage Paid, Decorah, Iowa, Permit No. 22".

That's all the stamp it needs for domestic mail. SSE prints my name and address on the back cover under that box and off it goes, no envelope.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2006   #55
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And no, I haven't said anything about stronger mailers for the Yearbooks, both for domestic and overseas mailings.

Is what I wrote in a post above, and of course I had a memory problem b'c since bcoming an SSE member in I think 1988 I've never received a Yearbook inside a mailer.

Ah memory, what a precious thing it is.

So thanks BC for prodding my memory.