Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2006   #1
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Default EEEEK! BEES!

I started my seeds last week and they are only about an inch tall. When I went into the attic tonight to check on them, I found bees on the plants! Well, they scared the heck out of me and I almost dropped the entire tray! Not only am I now scared to go into the attic (WHAT TO DO??), but I'm afraid the bees will do damage to my little seedlings! The bees seem somewhat active and are hovering under the lights. Shall I take the tray and put it in a window until pest control comes? Will they do anything to the plants? I'm afraid to use bug spray by the plants. I do so hope I don't have a nest in the attic!

EEEK!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2006   #2
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

I have the same problem with flies in my basement - they are attracted to the flourescent plant lights and probably the warmth from the bulbs (it's cool down there, and I think they are just waking up from their winter hibernation).

I was just thinking, what if you moved the plants to the window like you said, and then put one of those wasp jars/traps (with the sugary liquid, that allow the insects in, but not out) under the lights. Maybe you could get rid of them this way.

As far as them damaging your plants, I really can't see what harm they could do.
Old March 28, 2006   #3
mms
Tomatovillian™

Default Bees

DMNJ,
This isn't going to help your problem, at least not right away, but do you know what kind of bees they are? Or could you give a description?

MMS
mms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2006   #4
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Kim, thanks for your response. It set me at ease. I managed to kill some, and do not see any more. I'm afraid to cancel Terminex, but if all goes well for a few days, I will do so.

It's my fear of going into my attic that is getting me. It will hinder my care of the seedlings.

MMS: They are small. Kinda lethargic but active if I annoy them. Bees are not something I like to look at so I cannot really describe them. I do not know what kind they are. However, I found lots of dead ones also, so they've been there since last summer. BAD! My attic is used mainly for storage and this is the first time I've been up there in a while....
Old March 29, 2006   #5
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Wouldn't it be something if they were honeybees with a hive up there? A few weeks ago on NPR there was someone on who had a church that had become a huge honeybee hive...the walls oozed honey!

I can't really see how they would harm your plants.

You seem really frightened of them, but bees are our friends and they have an important job too. I've never really been all that frightened of bees, even though I have been stung a couple of times. If I were allergic, that would be different story. Maybe there is a way to get rid of them without killing them? I wonder if bees can be chased out

Jenn
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2006   #6
Goddessemer6
Tomatovillian™

I believe they use smoke to remove the bees from a hive to collect the honey without harming the bees, so I imagine that the same would work to get them out of your house. However I don't recommend you do this yourself. Perhaps there is even someone localy who could capture the bee colony? I know a lot of people capture wild hives and practice the art of bee keeping. Either case what ever you decide I wish you the best of luck!

The beauty of being human is the ability to choose compassion over cruelty!
Goddessemer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2006   #7
clay199
Tomatovillian™

you could use a pop bottle about a third full of pop, leave it open and sit it down somewhere where you won't kick it. The bees crawl in smelling the sugar, and then drown.
clay199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2006   #8
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

I don't really WANT to kill them. It's just that they're in my house and I'm scared to go into the attic. I don't like that feeling.

I know they are beneficial, but that is outdoors, not indoors......

Thanks for all of your help!