Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 27, 2017   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARgardener View Post
https://gm1.ggpht.com/igIcbvTRIpuWPY...66-h638-l75-ft

trying again with the pic.. can yall click and view this link?
Nope! Link doesn't work.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017   #17
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Not sure how you folks upload your pictures?!
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Click on "post reply" and then click on the button that says "manage attachments."

Alternatively, you can host your pics on a separate site like imgur, and link to the image with the IMG button, the little mountain with a yellow background.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017   #19
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

unnamed (1).jpg

Alrighty- thanks fellow GSD owner
Old March 29, 2017   #20
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

I think the issue may be too warm of temps.. My thermometer reads mid to upper 80's.. have even hit 90.
Old March 29, 2017   #21
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

That really doesn't look good... My suggestion would be to put them in a different potting mix and see if they'll do better.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017   #22
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post
That really doesn't look good... My suggestion would be to put them in a different potting mix and see if they'll do better.
someone I know, who's plants are doing great, has the same set up but the only difference between ours is the temp. I don't think the medium is the issue here.
Old March 29, 2017   #23
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I don't see any Perlite or other aeration in your potting mix, by 3 weeks to 1 month time you should have much much bigger plants.I think your mix is too dense, and likely too wet, the roots aren't able to take up nutrients very well in a dense mix, especially if it's too wet. I DO NOT think it's the temperatures. My seedlings are always started when it it in the high 80s to low 90s, I start them late August in South Florida and it is hot and humid, but they grow very well. By one month they are about 5-6 inches tall with thick stems and 4 sets of true leaves. I start them out with dense planting, but they are transplanted individually to their own 3" pot by 2 weeks time. Of course they have a full set of true leaves by then.
I know it's your mix, if you want them to grow, your going to have to get them a better mix. Sorry, I can tell you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. I mean this to be helpful.
Old March 29, 2017   #24
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I don't see any Perlite or other aeration in your potting mix, by 3 weeks to 1 month time you should have much much bigger plants.I think your mix is too dense, and likely too wet, the roots aren't able to take up nutrients very well in a dense mix, especially if it's too wet. I DO NOT think it's the temperatures. My seedlings are always started when it it in the high 80s to low 90s, I start them late August in South Florida and it is hot and humid, but they grow very well. By one month they are about 5-6 inches tall with thick stems and 4 sets of true leaves. I start them out with dense planting, but they are transplanted individually to their own 3" pot by 2 weeks time. Of course they have a full set of true leaves by then.
I know it's your mix, if you want them to grow, your going to have to get them a better mix. Sorry, I can tell you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. I mean this to be helpful.
It's Fox Farm's Light Warrior.. it's very light and I let things dry out plenty (??). The mix plus the trays I use make "too wet" nearly impossible here.

These plants aren't really one month.. I found the dates I started them (3/4), did the math (took about 7 days to germinate- some more, some less. just average of 7). Plus a few days till emergence.. So they are really closer to 2 weeks old since the seed first put out a little root.
I've seen where tomato seedlings grow best between 65 and 70.

Last edited by ARgardener; March 29, 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old March 29, 2017   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

If they are only 2 weeks old, you aren't that far behind.
Old March 29, 2017   #26
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
If they are only 2 weeks old, you aren't that far behind.
Okay that's what I was hoping.. I've been so so busy that time has felt much longer. I thought they were older/ planted earlier.

An aside, I hope i didn't come across as rude or anything. Certainly not my intent- I appreciate you replying and trying to help me out!
Old March 29, 2017   #27
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

No problem, and no rudeness perceived.
Old March 29, 2017   #28
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I agree their is a weird 'wait game' in seed starting. We look and check and seems like
nothing is happening. The lights 2 inches above. Boom, the plants are touching.

They do look sloowww going. Really slow. Give it a few more days but i think something
is up with the soil or fungus gnats or some other soil issue unknown.

I've been through it all and a few years ago used a familiar 'sterile seed starting mix' that
must have beed the factory bottom of the barrel that turned to cement.

I no longer trust any and make my own and sterilize. Heat treat and keep bags in the freezer until i need them. (freezing kills nothing but heat treating does)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017   #29
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
They do look sloowww going. Really slow. Give it a few more days but i think something is up with the soil or fungus gnats or some other soil issue unknown.
I'm going to go ahead and say that the fungus gnat issue is a "no". The environment is very sterile, soil is not consistently moist, and no observed gnats flying about- which I usually see if I have problems.

The root development seems to be going... I've got roots coming out of the bottom of the trays and such. Not sure.

Some say I'm not behind, some say I kind of am; still others say I'm way behind.
Old March 30, 2017   #30
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Problem solving is just tossing out possible ideas, causes, solutions. Not sure anyone
was being definitive. Start date not clear. Not seeing a pic right away so just guessing...

It is all guessing without being there. Not even suggesting you have fungus gnats but
that is what seedlings look like as the larvae feed under the soil on root hairs causing slow
growth. Yellow sticky traps will not solve it but are a good warning sign.

But that is ruled out.

So now it is just a waiting game. Personally i would start another tray asap while
waiting. My insurance method. And i'd pot up one of those in fresh soil for a test.

Here is a photo test i did watching a headless seedling out of curiosity. Seeded Feb-20.
First pic it is in the lower right corner. Last pic this morning 5am.

+that tray is headed to the compost. I potted up what i needed last week. Planted a dozen seed of each variety and just need 3-4 plants of each. I cull and take the strongest.
That little fella was just a curiosity. (no c, true leaves stuck)

Just showing a common timeline. It can go a week or so different.
I only use p-towel method if a seed cell is empty being difficult germination.
Attached Images
File Type: png seedling timeline.png (764.2 KB, 133 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote