Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 20, 2016   #1996
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
@alittle salt
Did some research eons ago,there are some older threads in the search pane.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=steam+soil
Kurt,
I liked the link. Some of the pictures were pretty interesting. I like the one of steaming tobacco beds and the big steam tractor. All that iron it it was probably around 10hp.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2016   #1997
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

2 weeks after the storm which did some real damage to my newly transplanted tomato plants (i would have pulled them but didnt get around to it due to other clean up) they have all recovered and are growing like weeds. I relly cant believe it. My neighbor had transplanted three teenagers and he thought they were dead after the storm (I did too they looked so bad) but he just cut off all the bad parts and his are recovering too. Yay!

The picture doesnt do this tomato plant justice because it is wet from dew but doing really well.

Here's my Shi-shi-to after the storm. Almost every leaf was gone so I cut it back.

Here it is this morning.

Barb is it too late to start cucumber plants?

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; October 21, 2016 at 05:55 AM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2016   #1998
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

That Shi-shi-to is Amazing! I probably need to grow it. Aren't tomato and pepper plants amazing, if no actual disease, they are very resilient and forgiving.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2016   #1999
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I wish I could put comments in between the pics like Ginny does

Notice how buggy the yellow sticky cards are already.

Ginny - notice my EB Covers (ie compactor bags from HD).

First to set fruit is ICD followed closely by SunGold.

The close-up with Flowers is Dusky Rose. There was another group of flowers on the plant but it must have been too warm to set.

Goal is to get most of the plants off the pool deck.
Barb, you don't need the clips if you take one of those flat scraper spatula tools painters use, and push/tuck the cover in all along the perimeter. I'll try to find a YouTube video link that shows that.

I am curious, why do you plant first, then cut a hole for your cover to go on after? I always put the cover on first, then plant, I think it is much easier, not that much chance to injure leaves, because you only have to deal with the stem base that way. I can dig to the bottom and see easily right through my smaller cuts into the hole to see just where to place them. I don't have to tape back the cover.

The video is by gardendoc , his video link is 3rd or 4th post, shows how he tucks in his cover. http://forum.earthbox.com/index.php?topic=10156.0
Old October 21, 2016   #2000
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Well, at least most, got the 4 new ones to still do. If you all notice, there is a tomato cage around each plant, then the main EB outer cage around the box perimeter. That's a volunteer cinnamon basil in the left foreground. Hard to kill that.
Quite a set up you have going! Looks great 🙂
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2016   #2001
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Quite a set up you have going! Looks great 🙂
Thank you,Karen.
Old October 22, 2016   #2002
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Larry, liked your set up.
Barb, nice looking plants.
Ginny, glad your plants recovering.
Marsha, thank you for ideas.

It looks that the season is going well no matter what.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2016   #2003
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - I don't think it's too late for cucumber plants. Most give cukes in <50 days. I'm going to start another plant today. I haven't seen the pickle worm moth either so good timing. Went back to using the root pouch.

Marsha - Thanks for the link. I thought some of the prep work on the EB re-use was overkill. IE: The torch to get circles plus building that frame to keep the mix in. He didn't add much new mix, he added 2 cups of Dolomite - with that little mix I wouldn't add any dolomite. The covers were a really good idea. Did you notice how big his 'loaf' was at the end of the season.

Larry - I started new broccoli seeds yesterday. My other ones are finally taken off a little. Not near ready to transplant though. I did transplant my non-head purple broccoli seedlings into an EarthBox. They don't make heads and don't need cold weather for florets.

---
On Thursday I found my first non-cherry tomatoes set. They were on Champion 2 (Thanks for the seeds Ginny) and Orange Slice F2 (alternative to Kelloggs Breakfast grown by a TV member). He grew out the F2s already and the comparison to Kelloggs is uncanny.

With this weekend weather, hopefully many more tomatoes will be set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White Cuke Plant 10-20 (400x317).jpg (59.6 KB, 58 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2016   #2004
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Barb, nice cucumber plants.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2016   #2005
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

10-12 days from germination so far. Using two of my AeroGarden LED as light source.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161022_170035.jpg (355.4 KB, 53 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2016   #2006
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ginny - I don't think it's too late for cucumber plants. Most give cukes in <50 days. I'm going to start another plant today. I haven't seen the pickle worm moth either so good timing. Went back to using the root pouch.

Marsha - Thanks for the link. I thought some of the prep work on the EB re-use was overkill. IE: The torch to get circles plus building that frame to keep the mix in. He didn't add much new mix, he added 2 cups of Dolomite - with that little mix I wouldn't add any dolomite. The covers were a really good idea. Did you notice how big his 'loaf' was at the end of the season.

Larry - I started new broccoli seeds yesterday. My other ones are finally taken off a little. Not near ready to transplant though. I did transplant my non-head purple broccoli seedlings into an EarthBox. They don't make heads and don't need cold weather for florets.

---
On Thursday I found my first non-cherry tomatoes set. They were on Champion 2 (Thanks for the seeds Ginny) and Orange Slice F2 (alternative to Kelloggs Breakfast grown by a TV member). He grew out the F2s already and the comparison to Kelloggs is uncanny.

I agree Barb, I wouldn't add dolomite in that case either. The torch to get circles was just plain overkill. I just mostly wanted you to see what he did with that spatula thingy and tucking in the plastic.
Old October 23, 2016   #2007
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
10-12 days from germination so far. Using two of my AeroGarden LED as light source.
Interesting that you could get so much from two AeroGardens. I guess they can serve dual purposes during the year.

What did you plant?
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2016   #2008
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
So cool.. yes what did you plant?

Ginny
Old October 23, 2016   #2009
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

---

Those look healthy. I will plant some.

Ginny
Old October 23, 2016   #2010
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Larry, liked your set up.
Barb, nice looking plants.
Ginny, glad your plants recovering.
Marsha, thank you for ideas.

It looks that the season is going well no matter what.
Thank you Ella... :-)