Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 27, 2016   #1231
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Did you all notice this thread has been pinned? Hee hee.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1232
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
To me PBTD and GGWT are very similar (but not the same) and PBTD is earlier and just as productive so I'm going with PBTD instead of both since I want to grow more reds, pinks, and hearts this time... :-)

I can't wait to see your list. It's always full of so many new and interesting ones.

Ginny
I just started thinking about it. For sure I'll post it.
Old June 28, 2016   #1233
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I never grew PBTD. GGWT was late to set fruits but during the fall it was covered with maters (16 pounds total). Taste was consistently one of the top tomatoes. Thanks, Marsha.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #1234
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Marsha,
That's great. I hope we get additional Tomatovillians posting. It's great to hear what others are doing and possibly get new ideas to use.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #1235
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes so cool! Thank you!

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #1236
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I never grew PBTD. GGWT was late to set fruits but during the fall it was covered with maters (16 pounds total). Taste was consistently one of the top tomatoes. Thanks, Marsha.
The definitely are not the same but I have limited space and we enjoy them both equally and to me they are similar enough that I narrowed it down to just PBTD since it is definitely earlier. At least that has been my experience.

Also, I already changed my list. Dropping the two Brandywines (based on the fact that the Brandywine I have growing here in Philly is so far behind the rest of the plants and the one I grew in the spring did the same thing and I don't want that for my fall crop) and replacing with Paul Robeson and Ludmillas Pink Heart... :-)

Ginny
Old June 28, 2016   #1237
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - I think that is a good move dropping Brandywine from your fall line up. I've tried many BW plants without success; not even 1 fruit. Although JAX was successful growing BW.

I've been thinking of my list too. I had planned not to grow too many plants because of the whole white fly thing and not wanting to be so time consumed taking care of them. It's nice right now with the peppers.

Can't wait to see everyone's final list.

How many plants are you all growing?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #1238
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ginny - I think that is a good move dropping Brandywine from your fall line up. I've tried many BW plants without success; not even 1 fruit. Although JAX was successful growing BW.

I've been thinking of my list too. I had planned not to grow too many plants because of the whole white fly thing and not wanting to be so time consumed taking care of them. It's nice right now with the peppers.

Barb,

My spring Pink Brandywine in Florida ended up producing a bunch of tomatoes. It started out with zero forever and then all of a sudden about a month after the others were already loaded up, it started getting a lot of blossoms and then tomatoes. But none of them were ripe by the time I left. And my Brandywine plant here in Philly seems to be doing the same thing.... slow slow slow to grow and no blossoms yet even though the other plants are loading up. Since fall gets cool and short days so quickly back home, I don't want that for fall.

Below is the list of the plants I have growing here. About half of them I wouldn't have grown if I was starting my own seeds... I just sort of had to go with the plants that were available. But it will be fun to try some types completely different from what I would have tried. There might be some surprises... :-)

Rose De Berne - pink globe
San Marzano - red plum
Delicious - large red round
Black Krim - dark maroon beefsteak
Berkeley Tie Dye - green with red and yellow striped beefsteak
Costoluto Genovese - large red fluted beefsteak
Cherokee Carbon - purple beefsteak - cross of Cherokee Purple X Carbon
Pink Brandywine - Pink beefstak
Anna Russian - pink heart
Orange Strawberry - orange heart
Wes - red heart
Black Cherry (2) - purple cherry
Amish Paste - red plum variety
Tim's Black Ruffles - purple ruffled beefsteak
Banana Legs - yellow plum variety
Holland - red globe
Oxheart - red heart
Sun Gold - cherry
Ceylon - ribbed red cherry
Riestomate - hard to explain
Tomatillo (not a tomato plant... :-)

I am not having a white fly problem anymore. I can't believe it. At least I didn't have it in the spring. The yellow stickies work wonders.

Ginny
Old June 28, 2016   #1239
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, that Cherokee Carbon intrigues me. I never grew it but both parents are superstars.

The yellow stickies are my very best friends, well, except for you guys, that is.LOL.
Old June 28, 2016   #1240
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I think the white flies makes it presence when it's hot; For Florida gardeners there isn't much going on in July/August so we probably don't notice them around until our little seedlings start maturing.

I'm not having a white fly problem now either. Is it b/c of yellow sticky traps or they just aren't aroumd. I've been adding new sticky traps all along and with every new pepper. It's buggy here; the sticky traps don't last a season that is for sure.

I remember when we never had mosquitos either; over in Melbourne there would be mosquitos but we could go out at any time and not be bothered. I think in the 2008-09 recession spraying was one of the things cut back.

I'm set for fall re: sticky traps - ordered 150 yellows and 30 of the blue ones which I haven't tried. We should own stock in that company.

---
Ginny - you have the magic touch getting brandywine to fruit in Florida. That is some selection you are growing; you would never find that variety here.

Last edited by Barb_FL; June 28, 2016 at 08:15 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #1241
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think the white flies makes it presence when it's hot; For Florida gardeners there isn't much going on in July/August so we probably don't notice them around until our little seedlings start maturing.
I'm not having a white fly problem now either. Is it b/c of yellow sticky traps or they just aren't aroumd. I've been adding new sticky traps all along and with every new pepper. It's buggy here; the sticky traps don't last a season that is for sure.
I remember when we never had mosquitos either; over in Melbourne there would be mosquitos but we could go out at any time and not be bothered. I think in the 2008-09 recession spraying was one of the things cut back.
I'm set for fall re: sticky traps - ordered 150 yellows and 30 of the blue ones which I haven't tried. We should own stock in that company.---
Ginny - you have the magic touch getting brandywine to fruit in Florida. That is some selection you are growing; you would never find that variety here.
Speaking of sticky traps, where does one buy plastic sheets to cut up and make my own?
July and August good for growing Okra, Lima Beans, Cowpeas and just maybe a few peppers, I hope.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #1242
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Brandywine - pink. I complained about the lack of production earlier, but when it took off - it took off. Very productive. Here are two that I picked today.... 11.6 oz and 12.8 oz. Very good tasting as well.

They are about 10' - 12' tall and still have tomatoes! That pipe is 8' tall and I have released them a couple of times.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2016   #1243
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
Brandywine - pink. I complained about the lack of production earlier, but when it took off - it took off. Very productive. Here are two that I picked today.... 11.6 oz and 12.8 oz. Very good tasting as well.

They are about 10' - 12' tall and still have tomatoes! That pipe is 8' tall and I have released them a couple of times.
Great job being able to still get fruit in this heat. I only ever did have one productive
(meh) Brandywine plant.
I much prefer Rebel Yell now for a terrific pink PL beefsteak with great productivity and that " pow" for taste.
Old June 28, 2016   #1244
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Speaking of sticky traps, where does one buy plastic sheets to cut up and make my own?
July and August good for growing Okra, Lima Beans, Cowpeas and just maybe a few peppers, I hope.
Larry
I always wondered that myself. Even cardboard thats bright poster yellow.
I got a can of bright yellow spray paint one year, painted some yellow but transparent solo cups with it, then smeared them with vaseline, then put them onto some stakes made from 1X2 wood using push pins. The pin holes allowed them to drain after it rained.
They worked really well, but now I just get them on Amazon, they ar just over a dollar each, and you can cut them in half since they are 2 sided. My mileage varies from Barb's, mine do last a whole season. Less work.
Old June 28, 2016   #1245
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Great job being able to still get fruit in this heat. I only ever did have one productive
(meh) Brandywine plant.
I much prefer Rebel Yell now for a terrific pink PL beefsteak with great productivity and that " pow" for taste.

I have no idea why I still have tomatoes and recent sets. I have never had tomatoes like this before. It just happened. While our day temps have been mid-90's, our night temps have been mid-70's.

I have a long list of T's to try and you add one more....

My PL heirloom plants look much better than I have ever seen my RL hybrids.

I think I just got lucky this year.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote