Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old July 12, 2007   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Molasses, Did You Know?

You have probably read about molasses being used as a spreader/sticker for foliar sprays. That is not the only use for this unique product for the garden. Here is a link to a good article on molasses, types and uses. Ami
http://www.gardenscure.com/420/organ...-goodness.html
Old July 12, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I'd say maybe they're smoking something, but...

Seriously, I knew molasses as a soil amendment to provide sugar for microorganisms. Apparently it also sends fire ants packing. Didn't know the other stuff though.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

If and what they smoke is their business. But what I have found is that some of the best bio, hydro nutrients come out of the cannabis camp. You read some of their forums and these guys get deep into lighting, fertilization and every aspect of growing. And all of which is applicable to what we do. I get most of my bio-ferts from a growshop in France. Ami
http://www.hydrobox.fr/catalog/index.php
Old December 2, 2007   #4
Warthogg
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
If and what they smoke is their business. But what I have found is that some of the best bio, hydro nutrients come out of the cannabis camp. You read some of their forums and these guys get deep into lighting, fertilization and every aspect of growing. And all of which is applicable to what we do. I get most of my bio-ferts from a growshop in France. Ami
I stay organic and buy 80% of my fertilizer and additives from the web stores that supply the pot growers.

(How do I know ?? When a reviewer says: "Man this 'bud' is for you..............." he ain't talking about Budweiser !! )

Wart
Warthogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008   #5
3 Olives
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I agree 100%! It's a shame that you can you can make your own beer, wine, etc., but can't grow mj. You can't even buy true seeds without taking a big risk.
3 Olives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007   #6
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Great link, now I know why you mentioned the molasses to me in the other link. I'll be incorporating the molasses into the garden right away. Thanks!
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2007   #7
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

I read that forum all the time. Great information is contained there.
I have been a big fan of mollasses for a while.
bryanccfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2007   #8
maupin
Tomatovillian™

I use molasses in my aerated compost tea. Check out Captain Composts Al's website for more info.
maupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2007   #9
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

I don't even think we can get the stuff around here (Europe and specifically Belgium) - we can only just have the maple syrup since it was promoted enough in Hollywood movies ;-)

Too bad since I have heard many good things about it...
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2007   #10
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

For those here in Europe who do not have access to Molasses here is a product from ATA Organics that is primarily molasses. Here's a link to one vendor that carries it. Ami
http://hydrobox.fr/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=543
Old December 19, 2007   #11
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by the999bbq View Post
I don't even think we can get the stuff around here (Europe and specifically Belgium) - we can only just have the maple syrup since it was promoted enough in Hollywood movies ;-)
I rember my MIL in Finland using molasses as part of feed for cows. I searched some Finnish sites and found 25 kg of molasses for 10 Euros at some horse feed place. I think it is exactly same stuff but thinner as the "sugar syrup" they sell in 1 kg tubs for baking.

Check some animal feed stores, those huge Belgian horses must eat a lot of it.
Old August 9, 2007   #12
gdionelli
Tomatovillian™

I use molasses in my starter solution for daylilies. Great stuff, and smells good too.
gdionelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008   #13
johno
Tomatovillian™

I bought a 50 pound sack of dry molasses at a feed store for $11.95. I still have some in 'liquid' form that I bought there last year. I forget the price for that, but I think it's about $4 a gallon, in your container.
Old May 12, 2008   #14
organichris
Tomatovillian™

As a former cannabis cultivator and enthusiast, I would say that this community is very knowledgeable about a lot of stuff - particularly indoor growing, hydroponics, and genetics. I grow tomatoes partly as a substitute for growing the cheeba. I have given it up completely, but I am still tempted to take up the clandestine pastime again. Tomato growing is an outlet that helps me resist that temptation.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #15
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here's a couple molasses sources on line. Ami

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...:referralID=NA

http://www.nextag.com/molasses-gallon/search-html

And here the unsulfered stuff used in cooking

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...ulfured/Detail