Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2011   #46
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much, that has sorted it all out for me.

What a big project, well done to all of you.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #47
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Finally have seedlings growing for Summer Time Green and Dwarf Wild Fred so all is well. Will report the results later this summer once we have some fruit on the vine.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #48
WillysWoodPile

Summertime Gold is looking good.

Old May 8, 2011   #49
tedln

Emerald Giant!

Left to right, Emerald Giant, Mr. Snow, New Big Dwarf, and Beryl Beauty.
All seed planted in the pots on March 7 and these photos taken on May 7. That seems pretty good from seed to nineteen inches tall in nine weeks.

Last edited by tedln; May 8, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old May 8, 2011   #50
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Lovely compact plants, aren't they! I think that the dwarf varieties are just so attractive....fingers crossed that they produce great fruit!
Old May 8, 2011   #51
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Lovely compact plants, aren't they! I think that the dwarf varieties are just so attractive....fingers crossed that they produce great fruit!
Craig, I might try a dwarf plant in the fall or next spring. How big do they typically get, and what is the average yield on Dwarfs?

Rob
mysidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011   #52
tedln

Craig,

They are extremely attractive plants. I love the rugose leaves. Some are so large they look more like miniaturize palm fronds. I am really surprised at the rate of growth. I expected small seedlings growing slowly. These act more like genetic dwarfs that want to be genetic giants. They germinated within the ten to fourteen day germination period which I experience with most tomatoes and they haven't slowed down since germination. While the Emerald giant had about a three day head start on the others from germination, they are all about the same height now. I can't wait until next year to try the others which have been released. I don't anticipate being a fan of the white or green when ripe varieties so I am looking forward to growing some reds, pinks, "black" or gold colored varieties.

Ted
Old May 8, 2011   #53
WillysWoodPile

Excellent tedln.
Old May 8, 2011   #54
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Can you use espoma tomato tone in pots/bags?
Old May 8, 2011   #55
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I would think Espoma tomato tone would be perfect....
Old May 8, 2011   #56
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Well I am running very late but very determined.

I finally have planted most of the Dwarf project seeds and am very happy to be joining you.

My orders finally arrived except one.(they have been dispatched .)

Plus a huge big special thank you to the forum member who very kindly traded some seeds with me

I am now started!!

Fingers crossed that as I am growing in a greenhouse I may be OK.

Sown just yesterday.

Tasmanian Chocolate
Rosella Purple
Beryl Beauty
Wild Fred
Summertime Green
Emerald Giant

Still waiting for delivery of Jade Beauty and Summertime Gold

Also enroute is Mr Snow from a good friend in the UK who managed to order before Victory ran out.

Hopefully this late planting in Canada mighjt prove useful to someone.

XX Jeannine

PS. just remembered that Victory e mailed me today to say they now have more supplies of Tasmanian Chocolate in stock.

Update 9th May.MR SNOW arrived this morning and has now joined the others sown..

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; May 9, 2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: update
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011   #57
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Ted,
Great plants.....how big are the pots?
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011   #58
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalstonsc View Post
Ted,
Great plants.....how big are the pots?
Thanks! I haven't grown in containers for many years so I no longer have my old fifteen gallon pots. I used some pots we have used for years as flower pots. While I have never measured them for capacity, I estimate the pot on the left is three gallons while the pot on the right is five gallons. Since tomatoes are often grown hydroponically, I don't think you need a lot of room or soil to grow them. They receive measured moisture with a drip system and regular feedings of nutrients and minerals. I thought about planting some flowers around the base of the tomato plants, but decided that would be pushing my luck.

Ted
Old May 10, 2011   #59
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Default Which 'Victory Seeds' varieties stand out for you?

Do these grow well in a winter greenhouse?

I ordered from Victory Seeds for the first time this past year and I've been overwhelmed with how well everything grew for me. I'm considering some of their dwarf types to grow out in my Fall/Winter greenhouse because the orchids are taking over and I need the space. Temperature control and lighting are usually pretty good for me in the winter. Disease tolerance is usually my biggest concern because of the humidity. Have any of you had positive experiences with these in the greenhouse? if so, can you suggest to me which of Victory's dwarf offerings stand out for you in terms of vigor, productivity and taste? Productivity and taste are equally weighted concerns for me. I don't want a plant full of mediocre fruit, nor a plant that produces only one delicious tomato. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011   #60
jhoganaz
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf Tomatoes for Arizona Fall Garden

I raise tomato seedlings for gardeners in the Phoenix, AZ area. We have two seasons; Spring-Feb. 15 to May-30 or 100+ days, Fall-Oct. 1 to Dec 31 or 90+ days. These seasons can be expanded with container gardens to be covered or taken inside during cold weather. Dwarf tomato plants are attractive because of their size and the ability to move their containers. I am looking for some dwarf varietals to try this fall. I plant seeds 8-10 weeks before planting date (Oct. 1) I have tried Lime Green Salad with good success. What do you suggest as candidates to try this fall?
jhoganaz is offline   Reply With Quote