Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 18, 2015   #16
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Black Cherry is one of those super common varieties that should only be sent in a few packs at a time. The others are perfect for the swap. Hopefully you can make up 10 packs of the flowers?

Gary
Definitely! I was surprised how many seeds I got from the moss roses I grew this year.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2015   #17
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

As usual Tormato, I will join and thank you for doing this again..
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #18
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

Is the deadline for this year going to be November 1st again? I'm in the middle of trying to buy my first house, and I'm having a hard time trying to keep all my ducks in a row...

I'm testing my 2015 saved seeds and finalizing my wishlist. If all goes well, I should be participating in two categories (Hearts and Paste) this year. I haven't quite decided on which varieties I'll send in, but I have a few goodies this year that I'm excited to share!
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2015   #19
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It'll be about November 10th for me receiving seeds. Hopefully, people will post if there will be a delay or if there's a last minute drop-out.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2015   #20
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I haven't looked at gardenweb since it changed ownership, but apparently I still have an account there and can post. Once you post the details, I can repost there. Or shall I be bold and just refer people to tomatoville instead?

If you want to be bold (and don't care about a warning or banning) please post a new thread (something like "Tomato Swap") directing people to Tomatoville, the General Discussion forum, and the 2015 Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing. Thanks.

Gary
Old September 22, 2015   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It looks like I'll be hosting a bean, pea and other legumes swap again this year. I'll post details, hopefully, soon. And, also answer some thread and PM questions that have been backing up.

Gary
Old September 22, 2015   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Would anyone who's a member of Houzz/Gardenweb consider posting there (Growing Tomatoes forum, and maybe last years Round Robin forum Incredible Edibles Totally Tomatoes thread) about the swap here?

I don't know if the policy there is still a warning or a banning for mentioning Tomatoville.

Gary
Gary, I'm still a member there and just went to check who the moderator is, it used to be Tamara, and you could contact her and ask any questions you had.

Seeing no Mod and no other way to contact anyone, I am assuming that anyone could still get banned as it was when it was still GW and there never were any warnings either. Spike, who started GW wanted no competiton at all. And yes, I do know some were banned and one, a friend of mine is now the Lead Mod at another site.

GW was going bankrupt, they were lucky that Houzz bought them out, but so much has changed.

I was the Coordinator when we wrote some darn good FAQ's and I had saved several. But now when I open one pictures are missing, data is missing, just awful.

I still get e-mails from H saying that someone had posted in a thread where I did, but more often than not that thread was one that had revived, if you will, from many years ago.

No, for several reasons I will not go back to Houzz, nee GW, where I was since about 2000 and started making my own large seed offers there. But then it got very nasty there as you might know and when Mischka started Tville in Jan of 2006 there was a huge migration to Tville and many are still here.

Carolyn, who started out at the AOL tomato Forum in the early 80's and some of them followed me from there to here and there and some are still here at Tville. So it's been several decades at message sites for me and a Mod at several of them. I have learned a LOT about message sites, how they are run, who owns them and what their philosophies and goals and motivations have been and IMO Tville is THE best.
Old September 22, 2015   #23
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If you want to be bold (and don't care about a warning or banning) please post a new thread (something like "Tomato Swap") directing people to Tomatoville, the General Discussion forum, and the 2015 Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing. Thanks.

Gary
Done. I posted in both the Round Robin and Tomato Growing fora.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
Done. I posted in both the Round Robin and Tomato Growing fora.
So much for my semi-sage advice.

Gary, you are not the Gary I used to know for so many years, far from it. You changed a lot when you started doing the Swap as I'm sure you recognize as well, but you are having great fun with it, so why not.

Habitat, why didn't I see you there when I was there or did you lurk most of the time or did you have a different user name, just curious,

Carolyn, who notes if you hadn't been there since ownership changed,which I think was almost maybe two years ago it doesn't look to me if you care if something happens, especially since I couldn't find any mod links at all.
Old September 22, 2015   #25
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Habitat, why didn't I see you there when I was there or did you lurk most of the time or did you have a different user name, just curious,

Carolyn, who notes if you hadn't been there since ownership changed,which I think was almost maybe two years ago it doesn't look to me if you care if something happens, especially since I couldn't find any mod links at all.
Carolyn, yes, same user name at gardenweb, but I've hardly posted there since I joined Tomatoville, and posted mostly in the Soil Compost Mulch forum before that. When I noticed that fewer people were posting at gweb back then, and spotted a post or two about The Other Place, I asked, and someone was kind enough to send me a PM, and that's how I found out about tomatoville. So I'm just doing a public service by posting at gweb, and if I get banned from gweb, that's ok too.
Old September 24, 2015   #26
lillivewire87
Tomatovillian™

Default Sounds Like fun

I am totally in. This is my first year so I am not really sure how this works??
lillivewire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2015   #27
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

lil,

My first time too and I'm sketchy on a lot of it, but I do know firsthand, all it takes is willingness. Even if you have no seeds to swap, like myself, you're in this early enough that you'll get sponsored.

They say the bonus stuff, beyond individual picks, is dozens of varieties. I'm stoked just to be participating.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2015   #28
lillivewire87
Tomatovillian™

Default Newbie questions

I'm not sure I understand how many seeds we are supposed to send? Do we have to send seeds for the same categories we are looking for? Or are we just trying to fulfill wish lists???
lillivewire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2015   #29
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillivewire87 View Post
I'm not sure I understand how many seeds we are supposed to send? Do we have to send seeds for the same categories we are looking for? Or are we just trying to fulfill wish lists???
You can look back at previous years of the mmmm to get an idea.
If you search for
2014 mmmm
You can look at posts # 1, 15, and 549 to get an idea of the parameters. Post 15 gives links to the 2013 mmmm!
Old September 25, 2015   #30
sweetgapeach
Tomatovillian™

I want to join. Im new here but i think i got it.
sweetgapeach is offline   Reply With Quote