Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2016   #16
travis
Tomatovillian™

Daniel Burson is what commonly today is called a "purple" tomato, same as Cherokee Purple or Indian Stripe.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2016   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Daniel Burson is what commonly today is called a "purple" tomato, same as Cherokee Purple or Indian Stripe.
Well that was succinct, and thanks for confirming but what would have happened if I hadn't gone through the epidermis stuff?

Don't answer.

Carolyn
Old April 15, 2016   #18
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

I have 3 plants of the Daniel Burson tomato growing. Question, is it potato or regular leaf? I have two regular leaf plants and one potato leaf plant. I'm growing them out to see what I get from each plant. I hope they're not crossed.
mrdoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #19
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Daniel Burson is a potato leaf plant. This must be a cross. My plants were grown away from my other tomatoes to prevent crossing, but nothing is impossible. Most, but not all of my fruits were bagged.

You are the first one to report a regular leafed plant. Has anyone else found one? BigVanVander, you have 20 plants, are any of them RL?

mrdoitall, may I suggest that you only grow out the PL plant and destroy the others? If you do grow out the RL plants, please do not share the seeds.

Thanks for your reply, that is what this thread is for.
Old April 16, 2016   #20
imp
Tomatovillian™

All of mine are potato leaf plants.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #21
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoitall View Post
I have 3 plants of the Daniel Burson tomato growing. Question, is it potato or regular leaf? I have two regular leaf plants and one potato leaf plant. I'm growing them out to see what I get from each plant. I hope they're not crossed.
Sounds to me like you got outcrossed seeds. I get 100% potato leaf.
Old April 16, 2016   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Thanks for clarification
I don't think there is a BLACK tomatoes (i.e. not red or pink). Or I have not seen one I rather call them DARK tomatoes, which may include purple ( CP, IS) and brown of different shades. So DB fits in that category.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #23
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm also growing Daniel Burson, PL. Very excited to try a "new to me" variety. So far, its about 1.5 feet high and has about 10 blooms so I hope its a successful variety for me. Seems healthy and happy. So far.
Old April 16, 2016   #24
cloz
Tomatovillian™

I have 2 Daniel Burson plants started and they are both potato leaf

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #25
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

All four of mine are PL, including the three others that I did not grow out.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoitall View Post
As others have said, DB should be PL.

What was the source of your seeds, just curious about that.

Carolyn
Old April 16, 2016   #27
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
As others have said, DB should be PL.

What was the source of your seeds, just curious about that.

Carolyn
Carolyn, so far all of the people that have responded to this thread, other than Travis, have gotten their seeds from me.
Old April 16, 2016   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Carolyn, so far all of the people that have responded to this thread, other than Travis, have gotten their seeds from me.
Thanks for clarifying since while I was looking at your offer thread for a bit,and now this might come to you as a shock, but I don 't know every single person here at Tville even though I was here on day one when it opened in Jan of 2006, so wouldn't have recognized user names,especially since Mischka in the past month or so has listed several hundreds of new members.

Carolyn
Old April 16, 2016   #29
travis
Tomatovillian™

There are several ways seeds can get mixed up or land in the wrong starter cells.
So, I would not beat yourself up or spend a lot of time trying to figure out what happened.
Simply cull the incorrect seedlings.
Old April 16, 2016   #30
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks for clarifying since while I was looking at your offer thread for a bit,and now this might come to you as a shock, but I don 't know every single person here at Tville even though I was here on day one when it opened in Jan of 2006, so wouldn't have recognized user names,especially since Mischka in the past month or so has listed several hundreds of new members.

Carolyn
I'm shocked that you do not know everyone here at T'ville! No, I would not think that it was even possible.

In looking at my seed offer it is also quite difficult to see who had requested the seeds because most people did not respond in the thread, they just PM'd me directly. I in return PM'd them when I sent their seeds out to them. I did keep records so I do know every person that I sent seeds to via my seed offer and the dates as well. I did also send in seeds to the 2015 MMMM. I will have to ask Gary if anyone else sent in seeds for Daniel Burson.

mrdoitall's seeds were sent out on 3/9/16. Daniel Burson seeds were the only seeds that I sent out on that day. Therefore the bag of DB was the only bag that I had open on that day. On this end, there was no seed mix up due to multiple seed packs being open so it may be a cross or an error on his end. We will see if anymore RL leafed plants show up.

I myself will be starting 20-25 seeds of DB. I will be doing this to check the leaf type and to have a few plants for myself.