Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 1, 2012   #106
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I believe this post at another site is by the TVille brokenbar...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...543123572.html

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #107
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Lock & Lock,(not lock n lock)

You can store for at least 1 year sealing out the excess air and humidity. These things are great.. Again, Lock & Lock not Lock n Lock. Two different brands and the second one is not so good at least in my opinion and I have had both brands.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #108
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

You can dehydrate tomatoes and keep them on the shelf with no problem, w/o a preservative. There are issues if you want to store them in oil...then, you need to refrigerate as botulism becomes a possibility.
Old June 1, 2012   #109
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Because I end up with a ton of them by the end of summer I leave one out and put the rest in the freezer with no preservative. I can't tell the difference after they have been frozen, and you don't have to thaw them to cut them, they are still a little soft.
Old June 1, 2012   #110
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Lock & Lock,(not lock n lock)

You can store for at least 1 year sealing out the excess air and humidity. These things are great.. Again, Lock & Lock not Lock n Lock. Two different brands and the second one is not so good at least in my opinion and I have had both brands.
What are they?

Are they some kind of vacuum seal bag?

Ted
Old June 1, 2012   #111
tedln

Okay Rockporter, I googled Lock & Lock and I know what you are talking about. Do you store them for a year outside the refrigerator or inside?

Ted
Old June 1, 2012   #112
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

If you have dried your stuff(veggies) or whatever kind of food you want to store, even store bought flour, pasta, etc. You can store them at room temp in the dark cupboard for up to a year with no bugs, going bad, etc issues. If your product has any moisture in it at all I would store in the refer with a paper towel wrapped around them to absorb any excess and they probably wouldn't last as long but you can certainly use them for a much longer period than the usual method. Vacumm seal bags would also be a good ticket for them and are resealable too.

I use Lock & Lock for all my cupboard goods and my refrigerated goods, the things are awesome.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #113
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi again, need help.

I am just on the point of replacing my Excaliber , The one I had before was a small one that |I had bought used some years ago so they may have changed.

Looking on the website, the US site shows a model with a timer, the Canadaian site does not offer this option..is is a good thing to have?

The one I am going for is the large heavy duty one, 3900 ( or 3926T with the timer)

There are all kinds of options available, polyscreen packs, non stick Parafelx sheets etc, which of those do you all think are good/not so important.

I am just on the point of buying, if I go for the timer model I will have to pay shipping from the US, without the timer model so it is important I find put about the value of this option.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Oh and the Nesco Harvester one is on sale at Johnnys, I did think about it ...

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #114
kath
Tomatovillian™

I recently purchased the 9 tray Excaliber 3900 without the timer and I don't think it's a problem not having one. If you already have a separate timer for turning lights on/off, etc. you could hook it up to the 3900 if you want it to turn off when you're not home or in the middle of the night. I try to keep things simple- maybe someone else has experience with the bells & whistles.

Mine came with 9 polyscreens- not sure why you'd need more. You absolutely have to have as many of these as you have trays to dry anything that's cut in pieces. If you want to try liquidy, gooey stuff, you'd need the paraflex sheets- mine came with one or two but I haven't used them yet. They'd be good for tomato paste, fruit leathers, etc.

I was worried it might be too big, but I manage to fill it up every time I use it. It dries most things very evenly. The Nesco would have been too small for me.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #115
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I have the 3926T, but have found that dehydrating times are variable enough that I seldom use the timer except for doing jerky.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #116
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both for yor replies, glad to know the timer isn't a big deal.

Kath the polyscreen thingies do come with it, I just looked again. The Paraflex thingies don't although on the US site they are giving one free with orders this week.

Would either one of you suggest they are a need be..if so how many do you think?

The Canadian site does not have them on offer. The dehydrator is on sale on both sites but no shipping to me in Canada so the better buy for me is the one without the timer. They then work out about the same I think.

I have a call in to the Canadian site to ask if they will match the US offer for freebies, worth a try.

I love TV, I always get great answers. Now if you can all tell me which is the best upright vacuum cleaner to buy..!!

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #117
kath
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine, my guess is that I got the one(?) paraflex thingy free, too- probably the same "deal". I haven't used it yet so it's not a need for me, but I don't know what you might use it for. I think you can buy them separately later from more than one place so I think I'd go for the free shipping and see if you need them later. Asking to match the US offer is a great idea.

Sorry, we've got central vac.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #118
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

My paraflex sheets are still unused in a roll somewhere on a shelf, I imagined myself making fruit leathers and such so I bought a bunch with the machine on a special offer.

Now that I'm thinking of it I may try making strawberry fruit leather though, if I can get the kids to pick the berry patch. If I have to pick them again I'm going to make a strawberry liqueur.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #119
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

I'd skip the timer. After all you're going to be checking it often, right?
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #120
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Thank you both for yor replies, glad to know the timer isn't a big deal.

Kath the polyscreen thingies do come with it, I just looked again. The Paraflex thingies don't although on the US site they are giving one free with orders this week.

Would either one of you suggest they are a need be..if so how many do you think?

The Canadian site does not have them on offer. The dehydrator is on sale on both sites but no shipping to me in Canada so the better buy for me is the one without the timer. They then work out about the same I think.

I have a call in to the Canadian site to ask if they will match the US offer for freebies, worth a try.

I love TV, I always get great answers. Now if you can all tell me which is the best upright vacuum cleaner to buy..!!

XX Jeannine
Jeannine,
If you haven't bought a dehydrator yet and cost isn't an issue, take a look at the Sausagemaker (TSM)D5. I have been looking to get a new one and stainless steel for a little more money seems like it might be worth it. Has a higher wattage than the Excalibur too. They make a 10 tray as well, but it seems like a monster.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/32765d-5...erly32700.aspx

Reviews
http://www.amazon.com/TSM-Products-S...owViewpoints=1

Upright vacuum - I have the Dyson DC 40 - bagless, works great. If you have pets, the DC 41 Animal.
I almost bought the Miele Bolero, but I wanted bagless.

JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote