Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old January 19, 2016   #1
happydog
Tomatovillian™

Default Hutterite beans

For years I avoided growing them because Carol Deppe condemned them as "utterly bland." Then I happened to buy some from Rancho Gordo and found they tasted absolutely delicious. They turned into a delectable, creamy soup that instantly became my new favorite comfort food.

I bought some Hutterite seed and planted it, but they didn't taste the same as the Rancho Gordo beans. They were indeed, utterly bland. I tried again the following year with seeds from a different seller. Again they were disappointing.

So I'm wondering if the difference is either a) the commercial variety has lost it's flavor somewhere along the way, or b) regional differences in soil. Maybe my soil doesn't have some essential component that Rancho Gordo's has, and that component affects the flavor. Naturally Rancho Gordo doesn't sell them anymore, or I'd try planting theirs.

What do you think? I'm in NC, a long way from wherever RG grows their beans.
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I have had great luck planting Hutterite purchased from Seed Savers. But I live in California, and it might make a difference.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

It is hard not to be influenced by the opinions of garden guru's but in beans and anything else, taste is subjective and growing conditions vary so much that the only way you can know if you like any variety of anything is to try it yourself.
I never would have tried heirloom tomatoes here if I had listened to the garden gurus here who say they don't do well here.
They can and do grow well here.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote