Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old April 2, 2016   #1
DrTrish
Tomatovillian™

Default Should I cover my garlic tonight?

We are expecting a hard freeze both tonight and Monday night (mid 20s), and my garlic tops are up about 6-7 inches. I know garlic is cold hardy, but is it that cold hardy? Should I cover them tonight?
DrTrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #2
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't worry about it. Garlic, like onions, is pretty cold hardy. .. especially if it is mulched. My garlic is under several inches of snow as I write this, with more still on the way (and a blizzard at the moment). Plenty of freezing weather due for the next 10 days or so, but nothing cold enough to cause serious damage.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Should be fine, but it looks like a lot of us are in for some cold temperatures!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont have to look at a map to know when you guys are in for a cold one because I get it before folks east of me do.
It was cold yesterday and the wind was howling out of the north until just about sundown and then it started to clear up.\
As people said the garlic should be fine.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The way I look at it is always cover. If you cover, then the outcome is assured. If you don't cover, then the bad outcome becomes possible.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
The way I look at it is always cover. If you cover, then the outcome is assured. If you don't cover, then the bad outcome becomes possible.
That is true snow is an insulator and can protect some plants from freezing.
If a person is stuck out in the snow and has to spend the night and it is deep enough one of the best things to do is dig a snow cave and get in it.

We did this with water bottles in minus 20 degree weather the bottle out in the open froze faster than the ones we stuck in the snow.

Worth
Old April 2, 2016   #7
henry
Tomatovillian™

No need to cover, 20 F is not a problem our garlic has to put up with 15 f to 20 F for two to three weeks every spring.
Old April 2, 2016   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've had no problems when we had the same low temps after weeks in the 70's. What I read on the internet did have me concerned. I saved 30 bucks in row cover by just waiting it out.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #9
oakley
Tomatovillian™

If you have some snow cover your are fine. We have had a few weeks of 70-80, then cold wet 30, then 70, now a big dip into 20 for the next few days.... Our roller-coaster could be dismal but i have to accept that ride....

I'll have a garden no mater the swings and take what is given. Every year dishes out a new challenge that i find interesting though i hate missing a fruit season....

Always something excels be it winter squash or melons...peas and beans.

The only harvest that is impervious to all weather is rhubarb, garlic, chives, leeks, asparagus, tarragon, grapes, ...if i was half bright i would have a farm of all listed.
I have 50ft of rhubarb and it is 8$ a lb at my grocery. I just can't market grow with my work load...

I just put a bucket over my deck tenders...chives and herbs and the peas will get some cover tomorrow night as they look super and up but young...so anything you have put in the past few weeks need cover...

so if your garlic is young and showing signs of green...i would cover.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Ice/freezing rain would be more of a worry to me, but I see there's no chance of that there.

I think they'll be okay out in the cold. My onions and garlic had several nights of temperatures around 24F and they look wonderful now.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #11
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I leave most of my garlic in the ground year round with temperatures sometimes getting below 10 degrees with no known losses detected. I feel safe in saying that I have two to three hundred plants.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've been wondering the same thing. I read somewhere that garlic, once the green tops start growing, can survive one killing freeze but not a second. Mine didn't really put out any pre-winter top growth, but most of it is up now and we have sub-freezing night-time temps over the coming week and snow predicted for the next two days.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It would be crazy to worry about garlic where I live but if you live farther north maybe so.
I know I have seen onions get bit back here because we do get in the teens sometimes and two years in a row it got down to 10 degrees.
10 degrees F is frigging cold where I live and as many of you know I have worked and lived where it gets to 40 degrees F below.
Worth