Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 23, 2013   #16
bwaynef
Tomatovillian™

I've got seeds from some of the Muscadines and Scuppernongs we had this summer. I wonder how long it'll take for me to get my own grapes. (I've read 4 years.)
bwaynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2013   #17
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaynef View Post
I've got seeds from some of the Muscadines and Scuppernongs we had this summer. I wonder how long it'll take for me to get my own grapes. (I've read 4 years.)
Will you have them for 90-120 days in the fridge?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2013   #18
bwaynef
Tomatovillian™

They're in the freezer now (after having sat on top of the fridge for a few months). I was hoping not to wait that long, but don't see any reason I won't be able to.
bwaynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2013   #19
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The grape seeds that I save MUST be stratified to germinate (90-120 days at 33-39 degrees). I store them at room temperature, first. I put them in the fridge 90-120 days before I want to plant them.

I don't know if these are the same requirements for Muscadines and Scuppernongs. You'll find out.

I'm not sure, but freezing them might kill them.

Gary
Old April 29, 2016   #20
BakedIn
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone know if it's possible to take a cluster (after stripping bare) haaa from the grocery store and get it to root?

I whittled away a few ends and dipped them in stimulator and placed in water. But I'll feel pretty stupid after a couple weeks of changing water if this is not even possible.
BakedIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I don't see it happening. You need leaf buds on a piece of vine for propagation.
Old April 29, 2016   #22
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedIn View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to take a cluster (after stripping bare) haaa from the grocery store and get it to root?

I whittled away a few ends and dipped them in stimulator and placed in water. But I'll feel pretty stupid after a couple weeks of changing water if this is not even possible.
No, it is like trying to root the stem of an apple. You need leaf nodes to ne successful.
Old April 29, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Cut off this years growth next late winter before they start to bud out.
Place in moist growing medium and they will start to take root.
Make sure you have at least one bud on both ends one for the soil and one to make leaves.
And always make sure you plant them in the right direction.
In other words the part that is closest to the root goes in the soil.
They will not survive planted upside down.
You can also air layer them to get roots to growing before you ever cut them from the main plant.
This may sound crazy but I think it has a lot to do with simple faith.
If you start something knowing you are going to fail you will fail.
If you start something thinking you might fail but are willing to keep trying you will be successful.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #24
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

If anyone is still looking for varieties for Northern area I put quite a bit of research into this last year as I wanted a couple that would grow fro me. I settled for 2 earlies, Himrod, a seedless green and Vanessa a blush red. They went in last year and are now growing like weeds.

I had a very old Black Hamburg in the UK and when I pruned it I stuck the bits in damp sandy soil and left them in the greenhouse, they almost always rooted and I wasn't fussy about how I was planting them.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #25
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

I have enjoyed muscadines and scuppernogs for many years. Scuppernogs are the larger green/bronze color. Season usually commences in August and is over when September concludes...

You may want to try muscadine wine. One of the largest producers is Duplin Winery located in Duplin, NC near the coast and Wilmington. Wal-Mart, Total Wine are among some of the retailers who carry this variety. Do not know if it is in all stores. The wine is definitely on the sweet side, but retains the muscadine flavor. My wife loves it and Cardiologist say it has a tremendous amount of antioxidants... If you prefer the taste of Merlot, you will not like muscadine wine. Visit their website: https://www.duplinwinery.com/
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote