Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2016   #16
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Snackers can be unique because they are often eaten/tasted in the garden. Especially early morning where i am, 6am is often cool 55-60, foggy/damp, with a black cup of coffee, barely awake. Sweater/fleece. 75-80 by 8-9am.

Sun Gold and CubanYellowGrape with that citrus lemony burst. Very different than a few collected for a breakfast BLT. Still chilled by picking early morn.

I have a few more 'snacker' this year and i bet will sing the same picked morning cool.

Sure SunGold will be beat but it is such a lover by many in so many places...seems to fit the profile of a unique taste. Especially after a dark black cup of coffee...

I grew up on Scrapple and love CodBritches/roe. Both clear the house unless it is a childhood familiar acquired 'taste'.

Cilantro 'soap' has always fascinated me. At work it seems 5%. When i make a big batch of salsa i make a small batch with wild thyme/basil or tarragon. Most love cilantro.
Only one hates both toms and cilantro but he takes 12 sugars in his coffee and fill up the rest of the cup with a non-dairy flavored cream. His food must be sweet all day...that is one percent...candy all day and will suffer someday...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #17
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
The one I am sure I can identify by flavor blindfolded is Coyote. I love the sweet flavor with a totally different aftertaste, but I know some who don't.
I'm one who doesn't. I only grew it one year, but it was a spitter for me. Blandly sweet, but the aftertaste was oddly fishy with a weird unpleasant note. Maybe my garden, my soil -- could taste different elsewhere, but I do agree the flavor is unique.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Coyote is definitely 'an aquired taste' In the beginning, I could not understand the attraction at all... bland and rotten
But the flavor changed and improved as the season progressed, and I really began to like it! Sweetness and complexity.
I still agree it's very unique and not everyone's cup of tea, probably ..

Regarding cilantro, my Mom probably has the 'cannot stand cilantro' gene. She claims that it tastes just like a stink bug How does she know how a stinkbug tastes, well, every now and then we come across a fruit, berry or vegetable that has been 'marked' by stink bug, so the aroma is only too well known ...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #19
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I have to buy (organic) cilantro because my rabbits love it and it's good for them. But the moment I handle it a weird achy pain washes over my face and I can hardly wait to get away from the smell and to wash my hands. I can't imagine eating it. I don't smell soap, just the strange painful hit-in-the-face stink.
The first and last Sungold I've ever tried had a weird wild, sweet, rank, musky something and out it went. I wonder if ground cherries have that same wild rank sweet thing going on? If I ever see the fruit for sale I'd buy a couple of them to test them.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #20
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I have to buy (organic) cilantro because my rabbits love it and it's good for them. But the moment I handle it a weird achy pain washes over my face and I can hardly wait to get away from the smell and to wash my hands. I can't imagine eating it. I don't smell soap, just the strange painful hit-in-the-face stink.
The first and last Sungold I've ever tried had a weird wild, sweet, rank, musky something and out it went. I wonder if ground cherries have that same wild rank sweet thing going on? If I ever see the fruit for sale I'd buy a couple of them to test them.
The closest thing I can compare a ground cherry to is tomato crossed with a sweet pineapple. At least that is how the wild ground cherries come out near where I live.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #21
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

The original strain of Cosmonaut Volkov is very flavorful.

It was bred by the former space engineer Igor Maslov from Moscow region (USSR) and named after his friend cosmonaut Vladislav Volkov died while landing of Soviet Soyuz-11 spaceship lander in 1971 (due to depressurization of the spaceship).

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; May 3, 2016 at 05:40 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #22
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I almost always grow a variety I'm not sure of for three years, to account for variations in conditions. If I disliked it or it didn't do well all three, it's off the list forever. Wes is a variety I have loved each year I've grown it, and I add my vote to Prue as a perennial favorite. Every year I am on the fence about Cherokee Purple. About one in three years it is sublime. The others it either doesn't grow well, or has no flavor at all. But oh! Those good years! There's a fellow vendor at my market who can't eat arugula. One bite, and he says his mouth goes numb, and he can't taste anything! His wife, an otherwise delightful lady, is a cilantro soap taster.
Old May 3, 2016   #23
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

There are few things vegetable that I can't stand other than bitter melon.
I really dislike yellow pear enough that it won't be invited back for the 2nd year,much less 3rd. Although it made good goat treats,lol! It was also a disease and stink bug magnet and had more splits than any other tomato I've ever grown.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #24
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

One tomato I've seen described as unique is Purple Calabash - I'd love to try it one day, but the majority of people say not to, LOL. So it must be very much a hit-or-miss case... It cannot be all that bad!!
Old May 4, 2016   #25
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Only one hates both toms and cilantro but he takes 12 sugars in his coffee and fill up the rest of the cup with a non-dairy flavored cream. His food must be sweet all day...that is one percent...candy all day and will suffer someday...
The opinion of someone like that doesn't count for much. Give him his hot pockets, he'll be happy.

SNFLA was sublime. Only wish it had fared better vs my garden's disease burden.

Last edited by Gerardo; May 4, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
One tomato I've seen described as unique is Purple Calabash - I'd love to try it one day, but the majority of people say not to, LOL. So it must be very much a hit-or-miss case... It cannot be all that bad!!
When I'm thinking unique taste I'm thinking of ones I do like,not unique taste for varieties that I don't like and Purple Calabash is one I donotlike.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

So maybe I should start mentioning the ones whose tastes are so unique that I can't stand them?

Carolyn
Old May 4, 2016   #27
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

And I really like Purple Calabash taste and production

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
And I really like Purple Calabash taste and production
I'm delighted to hear that Andrey.

May I send you seeds for

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Sandpoint

And with this one please note Tania's taste comments.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Lutescent

Carolyn, who kept the suggestions to only three,but......
Old May 4, 2016   #29
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I don't usually put out negative opinions about varieties -- but I do make an exception for Purple Calabash. I have found it to be uniquely awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #30
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm, that must settle it then. Buuuuut, wait, Andrey likes it, and the variety is still around, so there must be something about it to be liked...
At least the color is beautiful - no black/marroon tomato can be completely off!!

Tags
flavor , profile , tasting , unique