Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 1, 2017   #1
TedB
Tomatovillian™

Default Volvo's Greek - Earl Cadenhead

I'm trying to chase-down parentage (if it exists) for Volvo's Greek..a variety Earl Cadenhead (Franklin, Ohio) was nice enough to share (along with a nice small fistful of 20 or so other OP's) back in 2005.

Mr. Google isn't sharing Earl's phone # or email address (so far) with me. ContainerTed was good about starting me back here for help. Disclaimer: we drove a couple of Volvo's in the late 60s-early70's. But that's a story in itself.

Anyway re Volvo's Greek parentage: I'm guessing it's "automotive-geographic". That is one of Earl's friends that drives a Volvo visited Greece..found it in a piazza/it looked and tasted good he/she saved a few seeds ... and that's it for Volvo's Greek mommy and daddy.

Any help on contacting Earl (hopefully he's still 'with us') and Volvo's Greek will be much appreciated.

PS: FWIW: Piazza tomatoes. I have this addiction of hunting for good looking tomatoes (sic) in Saturday village markets (local growers vs resellers.) The 1, 2 or 3 "good ones" (if any: sweet or acid taste, meaty/few seeds...med-lg size, beef, heart, roma I'm picky but... I seed 'em out on toilet tissue/let 'em dry an overnight 2 or 3 + get 'm back home in the ground next season or two. Some years none adapt sometimes 2 or 3.

My (eg) Astra's Sarlat Pink Organic, Golf's Tarn Gorge Red Organic, and Fiat's Split Red Beefsteak are the equal or better than what I'm bringing back from www descriptions/pics...but that's not saying much given that we get maybe a couple of weeks afternoon 80s out here on the Hood Canal west of Seattle.
TedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedB View Post
I'm trying to chase-down parentage (if it exists) for Volvo's Greek..a variety Earl Cadenhead (Franklin, Ohio) was nice enough to share (along with a nice small fistful of 20 or so other OP's) back in 2005.

Mr. Google isn't sharing Earl's phone # or email address (so far) with me. ContainerTed was good about starting me back here for help. Disclaimer: we drove a couple of Volvo's in the late 60s-early70's. But that's a story in itself.

Anyway re Volvo's Greek parentage: I'm guessing it's "automotive-geographic". That is one of Earl's friends that drives a Volvo visited Greece..found it in a piazza/it looked and tasted good he/she saved a few seeds ... and that's it for Volvo's Greek mommy and daddy.

Any help on contacting Earl (hopefully he's still 'with us') and Volvo's Greek will be much appreciated.

PS: FWIW: Piazza tomatoes. I have this addiction of hunting for good looking tomatoes (sic) in Saturday village markets (local growers vs resellers.) The 1, 2 or 3 "good ones" (if any: sweet or acid taste, meaty/few seeds...med-lg size, beef, heart, roma I'm picky but... I seed 'em out on toilet tissue/let 'em dry an overnight 2 or 3 + get 'm back home in the ground next season or two. Some years none adapt sometimes 2 or 3.

My (eg) Astra's Sarlat Pink Organic, Golf's Tarn Gorge Red Organic, and Fiat's Split Red Beefsteak are the equal or better than what I'm bringing back from www descriptions/pics...but that's not saying much given that we get maybe a couple of weeks afternoon 80s out here on the Hood Canal west of Seattle.
I found the thread I was looking for

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...denhead&page=3

Look at post #38

I doubt Earl had any friends that went to Greece, I knew him very well.

I agree with the second link in post #38 that sadly Earl is no longer with us.He used to post pictures of himself,he had a long white beard and I still remember those pictures.

He joined Tville the second week it was open in Jan of 2006,and yes,as posted above he last stopped by in March of 2014.

Carolyn
Old January 1, 2017   #3
TedB
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn..thanks. I saw your #38 tried a Franklin Ohio "chase." No luck. I'll try one of the other Cadenhead's report back if/when. Take care..a good 2017 to you and all. ted
TedB is offline   Reply With Quote