Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old June 23, 2011   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default ALERT: EarthTainer Builders - Cancel Gurney's Cage Back-orders and Order Burpee Model

As many of us have had the Gurney's Pea Fence cages on back-order for months now, I recommend you cancel those orders, and instead order the Burpee cage system at this link:

http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supp...Id=2320&trail=

The Burpee cage system is 76" vs 60" for the Gurneys, and is also made of a thicker galvanized steel. Price is $28.00 per cage system if you order 2 or more.

Also, use this coupon for Free Shipping on orders placed by June 30: LSJ5

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011   #2
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
As many of us have had the Gurney's Pea Fence cages on back-order for months now, I recommend you cancel those orders, and instead order the Burpee cage system at this link:

http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supp...Id=2320&trail=

The Burpee cage system is 76" vs 60" for the Gurneys, and is also made of a thicker galvanized steel. Price is $28.00 per cage system if you order 2 or more.

Also, use this coupon for Free Shipping on orders placed by June 30: LSJ5

Raybo
Unfortunatly for me cost is a big consideration. Gurney's is still offering up to 100 off of an order of 200 untill Sunday 6/26/2011 and since I have my fences for this year and can afford to wait until they are shipped (even if it takes awhile). I did order some from Gurney's for additional tainers that I am planning on making next year. But appreciate the research if I run into an urgent need. Thanks Raybo!!
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2011   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I would "run the numbers" again!

Even with the 50% off at Gurneys, the cost per lineal foot comes out EXACTLY the same, figuring in the extra Gurney's Delivery charge, while none at Burpee. I calculate it to be $4.40 per vertical foot of cage (5 ft. for the Gurney's, 6 ft. 4 in. for the Burpee).

Add in that the Burpee cage is a heavier gauge galvanized steel, and it is a no-brainer to go with the Burpee product. And they are in stock (just ordered 8 more of them). I also found out that Gurney's charges your credit card the day you place the order - - even if the product is back-ordered and does not ship for another 2 months!!! That should be illegal, in my opinion.

So, do the Math and you all decide what is best for your particular needs. Just want to make everyone aware of the (better) alternative.

Raybo
Old June 23, 2011   #4
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

It looks like a lot of people followed your advice Ray. Burpee's computer system is now seriously fubared. I ordered 4 days ago. If I try to track it all I get is "server overloaded".
duckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2011   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

duckfan,

I am going to send a letter to the Burpee Inventory Management folks letting them know I am now recommending their cage system for the EarthTainer III. Hopefully, they will up the re-order point such that they keep a supply in constant Inventory.

Raybo
Old July 1, 2011   #6
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

My fences came a few days ago. It took eight days for Burpee's to deliver which I consider reasonable. Their computer system is still screwed up. I never got any confirmation of my order or a tracking number. If you ordered and haven't heard anything they're probably on the way. I compared them to the Gurney's Fences I already have and the gauge appears identical to me. The Burpees are no thicker than the Gurneys. The extra height makes them worth the trouble though. The discount and the free shipping made it a great deal even though I won't use them for Tomatoes until next year. This year they're going to be used for Fall Peas. (What a novel idea,eh?)Thanks for the tip Ray.
duckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #7
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered a couple of these. It seems you can apply both FORFREE for free shipping and bsten for $10 off $50 or more.

Not bad.
lowlylowlycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

llc,

Glad you got a deal this week. I had posted 2 Burpee offers on March 18 (free shipping and cash off) - but those expired at that time.

Soooo - are you going to do a floating EarthTainer this Season???

Raybo
Old March 26, 2012   #9
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I've made a number of orders from Burpee over tehe past year. They have decent deals on shipping and a others for between 10-25% discount. What I hate is their 2-week delay in processing. It takes at least 3 weeks for my order to arrive regardless of size/qty. Right now, I'm waiting on several Wall of Waters that I ordered two weeks back. I actually took the day off at work today to focus on planting, but that will have to wait due to the missing WoWs.

Oh well, that gives me time to start building the full-sized EarthTainers, something I've been putting off for months. I just hate working with my hacksaw... well, actually, it's my mother's hacksaw.

--naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote