Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old June 10, 2012   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default BIG problem, need ideas

the BIG refers to the size of my plants in the self watering container. anyone have thoughts on adding height to my cages?

would lashing on another stake to all 4 current stakes work and be sturdy enough?

i expected the plants to outgrow the cages but not in the beginning of june. my growing season extends thru october
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huge1.jpg (487.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg huge2.jpg (484.4 KB, 135 views)
TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I have the same type of cages which I'm using in my 10 gal Smart Pots. Go ahead and add vertical stakes to the exististing stakes on the inside and secure with tie-wraps. Then add your horizontal supports. You might think about scooting your containers up against your railing and securing your back two vertical supports to it to give added support. Ami
Old June 11, 2012   #3
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

thanks Ami. i'll give it a shot.
Old June 15, 2012   #4
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Ami

was at the local HD and they had some taller stakes. the look the same however instead of being 5 foot tall they are 6. they have the same diameter so the snap on cross beams still fit. they also had what looked like 10 foot stakes however they were very thick and no way the cross beams would fit.

i got enough for my 2 SWC's and the extra foot makes a huge difference. i doubt it will get me through the season but i hope it does. they were about $2.50 each.
Old June 16, 2012   #5
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

I have used many different types of mechanical rebar couplers for concrete, but you can make your own coupler with some pipe a few bolts a drill and a tap and die. You can see from the picture above how it would look.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

cool idea. i will see how far the extra foot gets me from the longer stake. i think if i cut some of the 5 foot sections down in half i could then lash them on with zip ties as Ami mentioned and have plenty of height.
Old June 16, 2012   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Roger the larger and thicker 10 footers. I think the 6 footers should give you enough added height as you only need to tie wrap the first 16" of the pole extensions to the top of your existing cage and that will give you another 4 1/2 feet height. When you add the extensions tie wrap them at the top, middle and bottom where they attach to the existing cage stakes. Ami
Old June 16, 2012   #8
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Why not let them turn back, to the ground?
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2012   #9
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
Why not let them turn back, to the ground?

I had some last season that weighed too much and cracked when then bent backwards too much. Perhaps with some support it would work fine.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote