Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old July 5, 2013   #1
ErieDeare
Tomatovillian™

Default How to get raid of Crabgrass in VEG. Garden

I would like to know how one can get raid of Crabgrass in my Veg. garden? Can one put down Crabgrass preventor like you use on your lawn in the Spring time?
I don't really like this idea, but if it gets raid of the Crabgrass than you would deal with the results of it.
My garden is load with it this year. An I am trying to go ALL ORGANIC.
If anyone has a answer please come forward and tell us without pulling the Crabgrass. I do understand by pulling it you would get raid of it for a short time maybe a week or so. But I really would like to kill it for good.
ErieDeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Smother it with a layer of cardboard covered with mulch.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I use an organic method as well ... it's called a hoe. Like Red, my mulch (straw) is preceded by layers of newspaper.
Old July 6, 2013   #4
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

With a new method / area you are going to have to deal with it manually or you will temporarily defeat your attempts at going organic. A big issue folks have concerning weeds is taking on too big of an area for a garden and being overwhelmed with the work involved. It is a good idea to start small and expand over time. I personally weed by hand pulling and look at it from the positive aspect of giving me significant greens and some soil for my composting. I also view weeding as an excellent time to see what is going on in my garden and just try to enjoy the experience of nature and really see and touch my soil. Weed on a regular basis so things don't get out of controll and the weeds and grasses dont have a chance to go to seed. This is very important for the future. I am really experimenting with mulching this year. So from my recent experience I weed and immediately apply a mulch of chemical free grass clippings to reduce the chances that that area will have significant weeds again. So far it is working well.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #5
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

If you want to spray it, straight vinegar mixed with soap will fry it. Needs repeat application though.
You need to do this before the seed heads form. You can do it after of course but its gonna come back.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #6
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Default Corn Gluten Meal?

Corn gluten meal in con★★★★★★★★ with mulch is working to keep annual weeds and grasses at bay in my gardens. I'm not sure of the technical terms, but there's something in the corn gluten meal that suppresses/prevents germination. It seems to be doing the trick for me. Of course, applying it now won't do anything for the grass/weeds that have already sprouted and taken hold. Maybe keep it in mind for next spring?

FYI - I've heard that Organic Preen is corn gluten meal, but that gets pricey. I just buy the big sack of it at the local feed store.
Old July 6, 2013   #7
ErieDeare
Tomatovillian™

I have had my garden in the same spot for 23 years and all that time I used Preen and since I went Organic I am trying to stay away from all that bad stiff.

In fact I have went to Organic Fertilizers along with using Progress Earth brewing system and their products along with SEA-90 from SeaAgri, Inc.

Has anyone used any of these products from both companies?

I know next year I will be getting some Corn gluten meal and do what you have done. since it is working for you. Do you feel that any of the Corn Gluten gets into the vegetables in the garden while they are growing?
ErieDeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Gluten will decompose and produce nitrogen since it is a protein

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old July 6, 2013   #9
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

I haven't been concerned about any trace chemicals, etc, from the corn gluten meal ending up in the food chain, but that's just me. This link may give you more info.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...lutenmeal.html
Old July 7, 2013   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i use a stirrup hoe in open areas or shredded leaves around plants to prevent germination. crab grass and everything else under the sun is in my garden but i keep up with the hoe and by now it is so hot and without rain weeds seldom start except pursalne aka as the weed from he11 here . come august it cools a bit and i see weeds. you just have to keep up or give up, weeds never stop until october.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #11
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
...pursalne aka as the weed from he11...
You can eat purslane. Or if you don't have it, you can buy seeds from Fedco (golden purslane).
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #12
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Purslane is also a very beneficial companion crop. It has the unique combination of a strong deep taproot combined with very low growth pattern. Corn in particular has been shown to benefit when grown with purslane. This is mostly due to the micro climate it creates and the mutualistic effect its roots have.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; July 8, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old July 8, 2013   #13
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i still view purslane as an insidious weed to destroy. it spreads like poison ivy and produces flowers quickly. i was out of the garden for 2 days and was shocked at the size of the plants and the "beds" of new shoots carpeting areas that were weeded the last time out there. if i let it grow i'm afraid what it would be like. maybe there'd be no need to much anything as the purslane would be carpeting the garden.

every time i post about purslane people discuss eating it. how is it cooked? do you eat just the leaves or the stalk/branches too?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i still view purslane as an insidious weed to destroy. it spreads like poison ivy and produces flowers quickly. i was out of the garden for 2 days and was shocked at the size of the plants and the "beds" of new shoots carpeting areas that were weeded the last time out there. if i let it grow i'm afraid what it would be like. maybe there'd be no need to much anything as the purslane would be carpeting the garden.

every time i post about purslane people discuss eating it. how is it cooked? do you eat just the leaves or the stalk/branches too?

tom
The allure of purslane

See how thick it is? No harm to the tomatoes. It's only a weed if you think it is a weed. Actually it helps other plants as long as they are up and taller than the purslane before the purslane gets too thick.

Produce Recipes: Purslane
Purslane recipes at epicurious

Good both cooked and raw

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 8, 2013   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Growing organically means...LOTS of hand work. All you do is pull weeds by hand. Day in and day out. Cardboard is a great weed barrier. I get all I can at the appliance store in town. Every time I drive by I check it out and pull in if there is even one box there. Then when mowing I catch the grass and use it as another layer of mulch, not too thick, though. It will get moldy and slimy if it is too thick.