Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2018   #1
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Default Black on Tomato

I have 2 Costoluto Fiorentino plants. The fruit just recently started setting in the last 3 weeks. I probably have 40 fruits on both plants. Today I noticed 2 of the fruits have black areas like stripes on the side of the tomato. No Blossom end rot or black on the Bottom. The black areas are soft. Cut open and black in the seeds.

Any idea what this is? Will it spread to the rest of the tomatoes on the plant? I have some fruits that are larger but are not affected yet?

Thx

Oregon Farmer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_709.jpg (255.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_70a.jpg (238.2 KB, 124 views)
Oregonfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #2
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Does Blossom end rot always start at the Blossom or can it start on the sides and move to the bottom? Here is a little better picture. It seems the black areas are rotten. I looked for pests but did not see any.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_70c.jpg (369.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_70d.jpg (288.5 KB, 123 views)
Old July 11, 2018   #3
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

I think it might be black fungal growth.
Old July 11, 2018   #4
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Looks like blossom end rot to me.

I've seen it where there was no visible sign of the condition until I cut open the fruit. It doesn't always appear at the blossom end or even show the black area on the outside... it can happen anywhere on or in the fruit.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #5
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

I had a tasmanian chocolate with very similar symptoms, I pulled the fruit and left it on the counter anyways. When it ripened and and I cut it I still plenty of what seemed like unaffected tomato flesh and it tasted just fine. I assumed it was where the fruit as up against the branches/stems of the plant and was bruised but maybe it was BER...

It didn't spread or anything sitting on the counter like you would think mold or rot would grow though....

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018   #6
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

I guess we will wait and see. I fertilize with tomato Texas fertilizer and the plants had some organic calcium fertilizer a month ago. We have had wind and the tomatoes can brush against the stalks.

We live in a valley in Oregon where there is a lot of fungus. So far it has not affected my 23 other varieties.
Old July 11, 2018   #7
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

If it is BER, maybe I need to feed more organic calcium fertilizer. The last one I used also had lime in it.
Old July 11, 2018   #8
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

For me it seems to have been the weather if it's ber. We've had all sorts of weather from 100's to 40's and everything in between... Hard to prescribe the right amount of water with this weather...

Al
Old July 11, 2018   #9
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Are you thinking too much water or not enough? Our early summer has been cool. Days in the high 70's, nights in the mid 50's. Changing now to highs in high eighties to low nineties, and nights high 50's.
Old July 11, 2018   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It looks to me like a classic case of INTERNAL BER which is NOT the same as the much more common external BER.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ternal+blossom

Carolyn
Old July 11, 2018   #11
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

OK I looked at all the fruit and 4 tomatoes are affected. I removed them. I will look everyday and see if it continues. Can the calcium help?
Old July 11, 2018   #12
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Wow! I have never heard of internal BER before but just cut into a tomato with it.

Thank you Carolyn!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
It looks to me like a classic case of INTERNAL BER which is NOT the same as the much more common external BER.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ternal+blossom

Carolyn
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #13
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonfarmer View Post
Are you thinking too much water or not enough? Our early summer has been cool. Days in the high 70's, nights in the mid 50's. Changing now to highs in high eighties to low nineties, and nights high 50's.

Well the classic definition everyone uses for ber is the inability of the plant to use water, etc. If my weather fluctuates really bad and my watering is out of whack then I think that led to my issue. I only saw it in my plants that are in containers so in that situation watering is even more and issue..

I was inclined to say not enough water but I'm not sure, I have those bottoms beneath the planters. This isn't normally an issue except when it rains and the planters are soaked and the trays are full of water beneath the planters.... I've been watering the planters from the bottom except for when we get the occasional rain for a few hours and then it's back to hot weather and more humidity.

Al

Last edited by Al@NC; July 12, 2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old July 12, 2018   #14
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Here is better photo. I have 7 affected now. I have taken all affected off now. Still have 35+ fruits with no black yet. May have missed them yesterday. I agree I think it is internal BER. Is this contagious to other tomatoes on this plant and to the rest of my tomato plants. Do I need to be careful and wash my hands after touching not to affect other plants?

I think this variety does not like the cool nights. Its going to be 96 today and 58 tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_710.jpg (191.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_711.jpg (226.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_713.jpg (486.3 KB, 42 views)
Old July 12, 2018   #15
Oregonfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Thx Carolyn. I read your article "Blossom End Rot (BER) in Tomatoes

by Carolyn Male". It answered my questions. Very helpful. Could not find nearly as helpful information when I googled interior BER as what you provided.

I think I am overly sensitive to my plants since this is really my first year growing. I had the curling leaves, interior BER, and probably sun scald today close to 100. But I am beginning to believe this is all normal in growing tomatoes and really are minor issues overall.

Thx for your help.