Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 10, 2010   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Rossa Bianca size?

Have read the descriptions I could find in catalogs but didn't notice a mention of how long Rossa Bianca can grow. I did see they can get 4-6" around, and I have one that must be about that size. It's about 4" or sightly more long. Is this the best time to take it off the plant? I didn't have a tape measure with me so don't have exact numbers. Gorgeous eggplant!

TIA, Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2010   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

You can pick eggplant any time up to overripe (when they lose their glossy appearance...when they go yellow, it is too late - then it is time to save seed). Rosa Bianca is a variety I would pick at 6 inches in diameter and 6 inches long at the largest. Perfect variety for slabs for Eggplant Parmesan!
Old July 13, 2010   #3
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Craig. I visited the garden today and almost pulled the eggplant off because it has to be at least 6" around. I'd say it's only about 4.5" long so will give it a little more time. First one goes to my mother and she uses eggplant for eggplant parmesan so she'll be happy with it. There are two others just starting out on the plant and I'll wait for one of them. I did bring home a Diamond so will have to figure out what to do with it. Maybe bake it with a little olive oil...and?? Seems I'm always doing research on something around here! Looking forward to trying eggplant really for the first time. Had a very small bite from a tiny eggplant last year and thought it mild and pleasant tasting.
Old July 14, 2010   #4
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Last year I let my Rosa Biancas get a little big. The person who turns my eggplants into eggplant parmesan for me said they were a little tough to work with at that size. They were probably a little bit bigger than 6 inches each way. It could be her personal preference. Anyhow I try to give her what she wants because her eggplant parmesan is out of this world good.

I don't know if this helps at all, but it was well intentioned.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2010   #5
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Randy,

That does help. I'll pick that one off next time I'm there, possibly tomorrow. It looked ready to me yesterday anyways but decided to give it a couple more days. Hope I end up liking it because it is kind of neat to grow.

Jeff