Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 28, 2015   #1
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Default Time spent harvesting tomatoes for market

After reading the thread on current market prices for tomatoes, and seeing that most of you sellers are selling for under $4 per pound/pint, I am curious to know how much time you spend harvesting for market. I find that picking tomatoes for market is probably the worst part of the whole operation. I feel despair when I'm picking those multitude cherries and it never seems like it will end, and then I damage quite a few just picking them. It seems like they take forever to pick, and as such I feel they demand a higher price. My mixed cherry pints are my best sellers but I feel I earn the money at $5 per pint...at least in my opinion. I estimate that it takes me about 10 minutes to pick a pint of cherries, and it takes about 3 hours for me to harvest 40 lbs of all sizes. Then there's sorting and cleaning as needed. Am I being a whiny ingrate?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote