Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 16, 2015   #1
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default The very large tomato thread

I would like to start this for those of us who are interested in huge tomatoes, for eating and for competition growing, either for fun, or for a record.

PA Julia introduced me to this mindset, last year I grew a few plants just to see what we could do. Out of five plants we grew six tomatoes over 4lbs, two over 5lbs, the biggest was 5.51lbs.

We should try to compile a list of the largest fruiting varieties. I have grown both Big Zac and Terhune, for production of many fruit, and severely pruned to grow a monster tomato. I was very surprised that BZ grew mostly nice shaped tomatoes from 1-1.5lbs, but when you select a fused blossom and cut off the other they get huge. Terhune is more misshapen, but they still range 1-2lbs when grown for production, and get huge when a fruit is selected.

What other very large fruiting varieties could do the same, OR MORE?

You have just a couple of options if they are to be certified; State Weights and Measures, your state fair contests, you cannot weigh them on your scale, even if it is stamped, if you want it certified.

Surly some Tomatovillian can break the world record 8.42lbs

Here's a few tomatoes from this year to start this off, mine were grown hydroponically in smart pots, and 10 gallon grow bags, the 5.51 came out of a 10 gallon GB.

Here's a very important tip. Make sure your tomato plant is robust before you choose your tomato, YOU NEED VERY RAPID GROWTH.

Tip two, do not prune your plant until you select your tomato, then prune off all branches besides the branch that your tomato is on, top that one.

Another tip, for soil, a soil sample is a good start, FEED IT, know what you are adding and why. If your doing hydo, follow the directions, push some much harder than others, BUY A TDS METER. I am also being strong armed by my new grower into looking at surfactants, facilitators.

Remember, lets share strains, and ideas, and make this a Tomatoville project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0510.JPG (345.1 KB, 1746 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0512.JPG (362.2 KB, 1742 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0514.JPG (360.8 KB, 1739 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote