Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 22, 2006   #1
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Default Earls Faux

Not my first Earls Faux but the first I have seriously tried. The others got mixed in with so many other varieties that I didn't know what I was eating half the time. Earls Faux is on its last legs but has set a couple more in the last few days so its struggling on.

Here he is sliced up

And after poking out the seeds from the slices there is still a lot of flesh left to go on the toast with fresh basil, black pepper and salt. YUMMM. This is a seriously good tomato. Thanks Earl.

Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #2
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

wow ~ that looks ? awwwesoooome ~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #3
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

The yield was not good John but it was growing in a bed where none of the plants yielded well. I plan to grow one in the greenhouse next season which is where I get great yeilds and most of my tomatoes.
Old February 22, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Yield

That ones looks so nice and juicy, Manto.

Such a great taste for me too.

I just picked my second one and have another fruit set, making three fruit for two plants so far.

But it must be a heat and humidity thing. I am going to sow and grow or maybe clone one over winter, plus a Brandywine Sudduth and a Marianna's Peace for an early spring crop. :wink:
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #5
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Yo Grub.
I reckon I probably picked 10 fruit from my one EF. That being said, I should be able to triple that amount and get bigger ones in the greenhouse. This is what I have found for all the varieties I have grown both outside and in the GH.
Going to dig out and completely replace the soil in the GH this winter as well.
Got great plans for replacing the pavers that run down the middle of the GH. They sit on a bed of sand that is so compacted no roots could get into it. Going to dig out border soil and sand down as deep as I can and replace the whole lot with sandy loam from the soil yard. Then in place of the pavers I am going to sit 3 or 4 of those big concrete blocks (the ones with the holes through them), in a line down the middle of the GH. On these I will put a couple of thick boards making a boardwalk over the soil. This way I will have soil not only in the borders but covering the entire floor area. I am sure this is all as clear as mud.
Old February 22, 2006   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default LOL

Lol. I'm not sure what you're talking about but it sounds like a handy project. Are you trying to improve the soil for the roots that shoot through the bottomless pots and provide walkways so you don't have towalk on and compact the soil? Sounds good to me.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #7
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Yep. Thats about it. More room for the roots to spread out.
Old February 23, 2006   #8
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Earl's Faux was delicious for me too here in S.FL.--the yield was very good too. I would say at least 20 on a plant grown in an Earthbox--did not have any growing in the ground but I do now. . Definately worth giving it a premier spot. I ran out there and covered the two I had with blankets on cold nights. Treated them extra-special nice just in case I liked them --the seeds were not easily avail. at the time so I knew I would have to save seeds.

farkee

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #9
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Oops, made a mistake --got 20 toms already but there are another 18 on the plant. Very good yield but not as good as Earl gets in Ohio--those toms on the table are BEAUTIFUL by the way.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #10
bully
Tomatovillian™

bully is offline   Reply With Quote