Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old May 26, 2012   #1
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Default First market Sale in Texas.. Interesting

We did our first market yesterday, and it was very interesting, and a LOT of fun!

Nice new small market, ground level deal, and we all got run smooth over.

We sold out in an hour and forty minutes, no price haggling, and they just kept coming, it was nice.

What I took note of that stuck in my head.

They loved the rainbow of colors in the "salad" tomatoes, the black cherry especially, and the sweet million, yellow pear, and sungold. Loved it.

They prefered the medium size tomatoes over the big guys, and the heirlooms went last, little interest.

The common theme from customers was the same. " We just want good food, the stuff in the supermarket is junk"

Back next week..
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012   #2
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

of course my harvest wont begin until much much later but i participate in a similar market as the ones you described and made similar observations there was a small percentage of people that liked hierlooms but most liked the smaller tomatoes they loved the sungold and stupice tomatoe because it was smaller were always sold out for me then i had a write up in a local [a[er about my hierlooms and it defenitely helped and some would try the local hierlooms and become repeat but its a slow process in a rural area but i believe each year it will improve i like my market as its very friendly and hels also there are no fees.. happy growing season to you
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012   #3
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, and happy growing to you as well.

Also, they went crazy over the Juliets. My Roma's arent ready just yet, but I thin they will do well.
Old May 26, 2012   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Are you allowed to give tastes of the heirlooms?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012   #5
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

in my market you are unable to offer anything sliced only whole cherry tomatoes
Old May 26, 2012   #6
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

unless you want to give then a whole tomato to try lol
Old May 27, 2012   #7
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

That's the same problem I have.

At my biggest market you aren't allowed to "sample" anything you need to cut. Killed heirloom sales because they usually aren't " store perfect". Halved melon sales too. It's the taste that sells both of them.

At another market we can sample and then the heirlooms sell OK when we have the time to do it.

But at my big market I don't even bother with the big varieties and only take cherries because we can give them samples to taste all the odd colors and such.

It's a shame govmt gets in the way of common sense. All the rules get made after big corporate idjits goof up. But it's us small guys that always suffer.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #8
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

At my biggest market you aren't allowed to "sample" anything you need to cut. Killed heirloom sales because they usually aren't " store perfect". Halved melon sales too. It's the taste that sells both of them.

Unbelievable. The wisdom of clueless bureaucrats. I believe you could fairly easily get this rule changed.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #9
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

ithe sad part is once customers try the hierlooms they become addicted to the taste but without sampling them they are confused by the different colors shapes and imperfections the hierlooms hat are offered at larger markets sell 5 dollars a pound and are no comparison to the ones homegrown and i wasnt able to get a fraction of the price for my beautiful hierloooms but didnt care just wanted people trying them.. i happen alo to be at my market only person selling hierlooms
Old May 27, 2012   #10
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post

Unbelievable. The wisdom of clueless bureaucrats. I believe you could fairly easily get this rule changed.
It's the interpretation of the Dept of Ag that if you cut the produce you are 'processing' it and you need a food processing license/inspected facility/etc.

A few of the markets apply the common sense rule and turn a blind eye, but most do not.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #11
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Is that the Wisconsin Dept of Ag?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #12
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

What about offering one Heirloom at no charge when a person buys XXX? A one time only offer so they can try the Heirlooms and given to those you know by name or face? I think that would work well here in our area and then the Heirlooms would go out the tent in a flash...

I guess what I am saying is, if you give to a few and the word gets out then people will start buying because they heard how good the Heirlooms really are.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
That's the same problem I have.

At another market we can sample and then the heirlooms sell OK when we have the time to do it.

But at my big market I don't even bother with the big varieties and only take cherries because we can give them samples to taste all the odd colors and such.

It's a shame govmt gets in the way of common sense. All the rules get made after big corporate idjits goof up. But it's us small guys that always suffer.

Carol
That's too bad. At our markets, they give chunks of melons, slices of tomatoes, salsaa and even lit samplers of cooked, homemade pastas to try.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #14
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Dont know, dont really see a reason for taste tests, the folks seem to know what they want.
Old May 28, 2012   #15
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

If someone does not know what a black tomato rates like, they won't buy it if cause they may think they are "bad". If they can taste them, they m may change their mind. But then again I hardly ever take tastes cause I always wonder if that knife was cleaned.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote